1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musician Grades

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BahamaBass, Mar 18, 2009.

1. BahamaBass

BahamaBass

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm pretty sure I'm stuck at Grade 1 cause I don't sight read but how do they grade? on what do they grade? how does one know what grade they have reached?

thanks.

2. I don't mean to be rude, but what in the world are you talking about?

imp

3. BahamaBass

BahamaBass

Nov 15, 2008
    grade 1, grade 2 etc up to 8?

4. This thread is F for fail ;).... Who is "they" anyway?

5. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Who grades musicians? Can you give us some examples of musicians we all know and their grades? I don't understand what you're talking about either.

6. BahamaBass

BahamaBass

Nov 15, 2008
    like when musicians say they are a grade 8 bass player or grade 5 pianist.

7. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Who says this? When a question is nonsense, the correct answer is no answer.

8. Ganky

Ganky

Nov 29, 2008
    Cambridge, England
    Guys don't jump to conclusions and make widely generalising statements without having any knowledge of the subject. In the UK and other parts of Europe you can work towards musical award grades - from grade one to eight.

I really disapprove of the scathing comments guys... please think first before you mindlessly insult someone. : (

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    +1 It's just an exam of sorts.

10. The OP has kind of a history of 'odd' (to put it mildly) posts.

But in fairness, BahamaBass, you are probably meaning Royal Conservatory grading systems. Do a google search for Royal Conservatory. You can also go to a music store and buy a Syllabus which lists all the requirements for certain grade levels of music. And yes, you'll need to read music for even grade 1, and probably need to play classical music on the double bass (is there Conservatory methods for electric bass yet? I don't think so...)

11. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    There are several boards that do grades, such as Trinity. There's almost definitely grades for electric bass.

12. BahamaBass

BahamaBass

Nov 15, 2008
    thank you. but I'll try and look info up on google from now on.

13. The two that I have experience teaching with are Rockschool (through Trinity) and RGT, I recommend using the RGT syllabus over the Rockschool one. There is a lot better content, and better teaching tips in the workbooks. It's also good to check out the ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal School of Music) grades for double bass or cello. It's quite interesting to get a classical perspective, especially for sight reading. There is a lot more improvisation in the higher grades. A good benchmark is Grade 5, there is a fairly respectable amount of content with a good variety of work between sight reading, improvisation, style and genre knowledge. It's a good idea to learn a bit about a few different styles of playing, so learn to play some basic reggae grooves, some funk, some slapping, a bit of plectrum playing. The grade systems are really good to get an all-round knowledge of the instrument but aren't totally nessecary, as I'm sure you can see from the clear ignorence of most people here about the grading systems.

Where are you, in Europe/UK?