Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musician

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Aug 17, 2001.

1. ive got a question for you, how long were you playing bass before you considered yourself a "bass player" not a musician but a player. 1 month, 6 months a year or right away? just curious.

2. if you feel like a bassplayer,
    smell like a bassplayer,
    talk like a bassplayer, and
    GAS like a bassplayer..

by all means.. you ARE a bassplayer..

doesn't matter if you play for 20 years or 20 mins..

:D

3. If u play bass and u play it well than your a bass player. it all depeneds on how good u are. Or if you make a living off of it, than your a bass player/musician.

4. i guess that puts me in the category of bass player who needs a lot of work. i.e. a car with no tires, brakes or seats, just an engine, trans and enough power to drive into a ditch.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Actually, I went the opposite way. I played bass, until I considered myself a musician.

Look at somebody like DURRL. He plays piano. But, more importantly, he's a musician! Because of that, in 3 years, I believe that's right, he's turned into an amazing double bassist. That just goes to show the benefit of being a musician, which means so much more than just being able to play a couple of licks on bass.

6. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Everything that Jazzbo said.!

7. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    If you can play bass, you are a bass player. For myself, I am a bass player, piano player and sax player. I also can play some guitar and drums, but I would not call myself a guitarist or drummer (as I am bad with them).