Musicians and bad fashion....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 23, 2002.

1. I have recently made an interesting observation. It seems as musicians get older they often begin a very disturbing trend toward extremely silly looking clothing. More specifically, they seem to accessorize their clothing in a bad way.

I have compiled a short list of common items that older musicians tend to wear. If you are guilty of anything on this list please dispose of it immediatly.

1. Hats of any kind. (especially berets, and small round brim hats)

2. Bolo ties.

3. Vests.

4. Sports Coats (especially if worn with T-shirt and jeans)

5. Hawaiian shirts.

6. Cowboy boots. (specifically exotic skins, silver tips and worn with tight pants)

7. Real bright colored shoes.

and last but not least....

8. Ponytails (if your going to have long hair let it go, otherwise cut it.)

This is not to say I have any fashion sense. I am a horrible dresser and that is exactly why I don't add accessories to make it worse.

Just thought I would share.
  2. but I already sport the hawaiin shirts. Maybe you can blame that on being young and dumb, though, rather than old and out of touch with reality...meh, either way, I'm not bothered by it.

3. Should we add tie-dye to this list?
  4. What about all the indie-rockers: Ironic/worn t-shirt, jeans, hemp necklace, converse or chuckas, thick rimmed glasses.

Or what about all the rap-metalists who have enough room in their pants for the Harlem Globetrotters(are they still around? or am I dating myself?)

Some old musicians remind me of my grandfather, he used to combine clothing from different eras together. Ex: A hat from the 40's + a sports coat from the 70's + shoes from the 60's + a shirt from the 50's. Voila! Ready to hit the club scene!
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Unfortunately, it's not just musicians. The other night, I was in the bar and saw an older lady (maybe mid-forties) dressed like a teenager -- pink T-shirt, denim jacket, little ankle boots. My very first thought was, "She's way to old to be dressed like that." I've also seen guys at rock concerts that are bald as an eagle on the top of their head, but their pony tails go all the way to their ass. Talk about a comb-over! Watch out, Ernie McCracken!

Oh yeah, if you're in a country music band, you should dress like you're in a country music band! Musicians that play country but dress like rock 'n' rollers just look like their ashamed to be doing what they're doing.

That's just my opinion.
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    wow, now that's a mullet

nice list count, got a kick out of that

I think vests are a mainstay for some musicians though - seems popular with some jazz bands

sometimes see those guys with a white dress shirt, usually rolled up short sleeves, black vest, and black pants

it's a good look when put together right
  7. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It's not just a fish anymore.

Pop that zit, dude!
  8. I think that guy is wearing a sport coat over a grey T-shirt! Someone please stop him!

Mullet, sport coat, and 10 bucks says he's wearing snakeskin cowboy boots.
  9. Dude, vests are badass! you just have to have the right one and wear it right.

and as for hats, ever seen Jay Kay lately?

I guess not.
  10. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    If only i'd look as good as MM in a pork pie hat........:D

Even if i could play like him, i just wouldn't look good

Ahhh well!!

I'll wear one anyways:rolleyes: :p

11. I'm a guy. i don't need no stinkin' clothes in the first place! :p
  12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Yeah! Did anyone watch the CMA Awards the other night? Almost all the guys in the backing bands looked like rock wanna-bes. There was even a fiddle player with a spiked mohawk! Oh well, that's what they get for having country awards in L.A. instead of Nashville.

It's always been my opinion that musicians create the fashion trends...everybody else is just mimicking us. Dress how you want.

But how about you younger guys buy some pants that fit, huh? Nobody wants to see your ass (if you had one). :D :D :D
  13. I agree totally with the list, however I can't stand going to a show where the performers(unless recognizable in their own right: Pat Metheny, Paul Simon, Pink Floyd, etc...) look like they just jumped up on stage and started playing. You should have some kind of gig-costume going on. I cant stand going to a place and seeing some dude in jeans and a sweatshirt/t-shirt/flannel/etc. playing, and expect me to think he is a star. Its so .. blah! If you get on stage, put something on that is different. Me, Ive got some pimp shoes, seventies garb, some stuff you wouldn't catch me dead in ... except if Im on a stage!

Thats my opinion.:D
  14. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    oh, totally. it's not like the music actually matters, right? i mean, i know when i go out to see a band i don't even give them a chance if they aren't fancy-dressing :rolleyes:
  15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Let's see...

I sometimes wear a sports coat, always wear cowboy boots (I am in a country band after all), and until I got my hair cut 3 years ago I had a pony tail. And I'm not ashamed of it... but then maybe it's from the senility...:D

And by the way, even country stars don't all dress "country" today. Times change, and country music has gotten more rock oriented in the last 10 years, so why not dress like it?
  16. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think keithconn has a point. I wouldn't walk out on a band just because they weren't wearing suits and ties, but in most cases, the image should fit the music. What happens when someone is just peeking in the barroom door, to see if they wanna stick around and they see the four (or five, or six) of you onstage, looking like you just rolled out of bed and threw on whatever clothes were closest to you?

One time, I saw a band play at a local bar and all of them had on similar outfits (it was a hard rock cover band, so they were all dressed in black jeans and black tees), except for the guitarist, who was wearing ripped blue jeans and a loose-fitting tye-dye. He stuck out like a sore thumb! Remember, a little professionalism goes a long way!

Another way to look at it, is that a lot of people start a band to get chicks: If it's chicks you're after, they're going to appreciate the fact that you take some pride in how you look! ;)

Maybe they should, but it seems silly to me to see a guy singing about his tractor while wearing an AC/DC hat, or a Motorhead T-shirt! :eek: Again, I think the image should fit the music.
  17. TONES:
    It is about the music. But, no doubt, its also about the show, and I think the show has a lot to do with the music when you are out somewhere playing.

By hanging around this joint you know that I love music, but I also like going to shows and see a show! No sense in seeing some ordinary dudes playing music. Thats boring. People like to feel that they are seeing something special, an act that takes pride in what they look like. As much as people try to deny it, looks and image has A LOT to do with everything. And maybe by NOT wearing a costume(of sorts) thats the image the band is going for, but thats kinda boring in my opinion. Ive seen guys in jeans and college sweatshirts covering Metallica for crying out loud!

As musicians we LOVE music, and could listen to GOOD music anywhere, anytime, by anyone. But 99% of the population don't know what the hell is going on, and they just want to see a show!

Nothings cooler than seeing a smokin'(and I mean SMOKIN') jazz combo dressed in matching suits! That is just the most kick ass look going - once again, in my opinion.

Later -
  18. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    point(s) well taken. for some reason i was under the impression that you were expecting outlandish slipknot-esque stage costumes and imagery (it was late, okay), but i totally agree with you here. Dave Grohl in that suave armanji (sic) suit of his and the silk tie really makes an impact on a crowd, and that's probably the most effective use of 'dapper' i've ever seen used in the context of rock.

i have seen 'ordinary' (ie. the crumpled suit, just-got-out-of-bed look) used to good effect a few times, however. there's a local 6-piece jazz/blues/bepop cover band around here, and they all appear as amazingly dishevelled aging men; sounds off-putting, doesn't it? but they really rock out those standards, which catches everyone unawares. i always thought that just 'playing in what you slept in the night before' was part of the jazz mentality?
  19. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Got black latex jeans for gigs.. You know, fake leather pants. They have really nice shine, but then again when I put those things on, my legs start to sweat like hell!

About similar clothing, I once saw this video for some heavy metal band a lot like Type O Negative, the guys in the video looked exactly the same!

All of em had long black hair, black jeans, black shirts.. I don't know if it was to make them look more sinister but to me it looked funny as hell :D