1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicians Block

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by quale213, Apr 23, 2009.

1. quale213

quale213

Sep 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    So, I am sure a vast number of you have experienced this, nonetheless, it still is zero fun.
    I have another solo gig next weekend and I am trying to write another song to "fill out" my set. So far I have very mellow, ambient, melodic songs that are easy listening. People love the huge sounds with all the chords, and it is something I happen to be very good at.
    However, for whatever reason, I cannot place the melody and lines from my "head" down to the bass or paper.
    To all of those who have experienced this painful experience, let me hear your thoughts. Help a brotha out!!!!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've never experienced your type of block (hearing something but not being able to get it out), but I believe you might be able to apply the same remedy that sometimes works for my blockage. I just get plain stuck where nothing good seems to come out of me. What I do when I have enough motivation (like the upcoming gig you have) is commit to putting the time in regardless of what gets done. Even if it's just for an hour, I sit down and do whatever work I can. If nothing comes out and I'm no further along then when I started I know realize that that's not the truth. The truth is I'm further along whatever detour it is I seem to be traveling down until I get back on my original path. I got a whole bunch of work done last year by simply comitting to the time and not caring about what got accomplished. Now if I could just commit to putting in the time again. :)

3. quale213

quale213

Sep 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    That was the first thing I actually did Joe, which does usually work. This seems like a morpheine size musicians block. I have also tried recording everything that I am doing, doign the whole "visualize", I have even spoken to my bass, and she is not angry...the next step maybe talking to Johnny Walker

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I stopped talking to him a long long time ago. But whatever werks for ya. :)

PS. I dont' think there are tons of people who write on talkbass. :/ Most peeps seem to want to talk about gear and BS. Including myself.

5. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    Try playing around with some scales that you're unfamiliar with. My teacher/mentor recently gave me a few pages of some lesser known pentatonic scales, including the Kumoi scale, which I had never heard of. After fiddling around for a little while I had a series of licks that morphed into a new original tune for my group.