Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musicians coming back to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Sep 17, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Bernie Cyrus (chair of Louisiana Music Comission) was very eloquent on MS-NBC this morning.

He said, "we're a tough breed, we're used to traveling a hundred miles to a gig, and sleeping in our cars".

I don't know about y'all, but in my mind music is very central to the whole New Orleans mindset, and if it were in my power to do so, I'd be down there myself.

I have no doubt, that the Mardi Gras will take place this coming year, and crawfish boils will abound, and the city will come back to life sooner than anyone has predicted.

Thoughts?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'd be a little more concerned about food, shelter, and water than playing music right now.

-Mike

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I think you are dead on when you say the music and traditional NO culture in the city will be back even stronger. Economically and so forth, that I can't say with very much confidence, though. :(

I have a feelign the next Mardi Gras will be somethign very special!

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    As a musician from NO, and one that played in the city on and off for years - YEAH YOU RITE!

NO is all about music...the Quarter is dry, they'll be there.

:bassist:

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    As soon as I can (five more days for this chemo trip), I plan to fly out to NOLA with my drummer and his family, and check out the scene. We'll play for free, in any venue that wants to accept us. The Quarter is opening up already, the outlying 'burbs are opening up too, and the spirit of the people there is indomitable. There's still a lot of work left to be done, that's for sure, but if there's anything I can contribute in a musical-spiritual sense, I will. My needs are very simple, a bite or two of food every now and then, and a little bit of water - but the good people in New Orleans are struggling through a lot more than that right now. My greatest wish is to play the bass on "When the Saints...." - and bring a smile to someone's face, that hasn't smiled in maybe two or three weeks.

6. Our friend who is exiled in Clinton, MS is returning to Chalmette today to find out what her family can salvage. She already knows that all of their homes will have to be bulldozed. For me there are two things that make NO different from any other place in this country: the food and the music. But you have to have the community of people to produce and support those things. It's going to be a long hard pull getting things back on track.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yes the music will return because i dont think any one of us can stand the thought of it not! I feel that the city is the birth place of jazz.... We can never let that die. :)

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Non, check out the Miscelaneous thread about Memphis's open arms.

9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    My sentiments exactly. We've already done one block party, and are looking for opportunities to do more. Morale is VERY important at a time like this.

If you get hooked up with gigs, Non, let me know where you're playing. And if you're in need of any loaner gear while you're here, shoot me a PM - I'll set you up. :bassist:

10. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah I wish I could get the band down there as well! Could really go for some red beans and rice!! :p

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    For many people in NOLA, playing music = food, shelter, and water.

If I were to just pack it up and become a full-time musician, New Orleans would be the first town I'd consider (with Austin being a close second).

13. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I think its a great idea to run over the FEMA guys with a bulldozer! Now they are thinking!

14. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    But to be serious dude i hope everything will go ok for you. And if you need anything just let us know! I know i am not the only person here that would help.