Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicians Friend and John Myung Sig....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jul 1, 2001.

get or no get

Poll closed Jul 16, 2001.
  1. Get the Yamaha RBX John Myung model for $650

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Dont get it

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I was searching last night for 6ers on Musicains Friend and found the Yamaha John Myung sig for sale at $650. i will snatch one up if i hear comments bout this bass from you people. the sound? the wieght? i hear its heavy but compared to what? how heavy? i play a 10 lb P Bass now so will i be able to adjust? details!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's a good price. I'll tell you what MY opinion of the JM is.

As you already know, it is very heavy. Probably 11 pounds, if I remember correctly. Heavier than any P bass I have ever played and heavier than most J's too.

Very nice looking bass.

Very narrow string spacing. Way too narrow for me.

Didn't like the tone. Kind of generic sounding.

Pretty good craftsmanship.

3. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I really liked the one I played at Mars... but I have a problem buying a bass from a company that makes motorcycles too.

4. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
    this bass plays well the neck has a flattened oval shape fits into your hand.Electronics are little noisybut not a prob if playin live.overall decent bass killer price if you like the six.String spacing is bout 3/4 enough to pop triplets (for me anyways)got good B string movement I don't know if the scale is 34" or 35" call yamaha or goto Yamaha.com

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jeff pretty much summed it up for me. Nice construction, (too) tight spacing, so-so sound. Normally high priced.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Who cares - they also make some of the best grand pianos and brass instruments in the world - but this isn't relavent to the point at hand either! :rolleyes:

I think this comment just shows an ignorance of the way Japanese corporations work. Yamaha TRBs have been some of the best 6ers around, but the bass in question probably isn't up to this standard and Myung himslef mentioned about "cutting corners" in making this bass.

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm not sure, but perhaps Yamaha's diverse product line might be attributable to a 'keiretsu' structure, a corporate strategy prevalent among Japanese firms.

8. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    Its not that I wouldn't buy it... I just don't like the idea of thier large product base... I would prefer a company that only built basses. But that bass is especially good... and with my tendecy to break basses live.. i might buy one myself

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Its not the same group of people who make both basses and motorcycles. We have a Yamaha piano, and it's one of the best pianos I've ever heard...a friend of mine has a 7½ foot Steinway, and it rivals that in sound, for a LOT less money! Not to mention we could get three of them with the disclavier, which we got (and is not offered by Steinway), for the price of a 6 foot Steinway! I'd take the Yamaha.

About the JM...do you guys think that new pickups/preamp would help the bass? I've been looking for a tighter spaced 6, and this would be great (especially since I LIKE heavier basses), but I haven't played a JM for over and year, and even then it wasn't for very long. I don't slap, so this would be fine...assuming I could improve the tone. And for $650, you're getting more of your money's worth...which you absolutely are not at $1000+!

10. embellisher

Angus, I think that the JM would be great for metal with EMGs or Duncans in it. It's made of quality tone woods and is well crafted for the price, especially if you can get one for $650.

Slap is the only real problem that I would have with the bass, besides the weight, and you said that you like heavy basses.

Of course, you could buy a used SR506, they have a much better B string than other Soundgear 5's and 6's.

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Having a large product base might actually be beneficial. Experience gained from one area could trickle down to other areas. For example, experience gained in machining motorcycle parts could be used to machine bridges for basses. OK that was a bad example but you get the drift.

12. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It's a good price, but I vote nay. I usually don't have much problem adjusting to different basses, but the strings spacing is way narrow. It is a well made bass, but I think it is very generic sounding.
    I wonder also how it would stand up in a live, loud band situation. I could see it getting buried in the mix very easily.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thanks Embell....but no SRs!!!! :D

Anyone else got any opinions? I've got the money, and I can jump on it unless someone says no...

14. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I would buy one too, if I had a number to go on for the spacing string to string... That would be pretty sweet... Dump some money into the pickups, electronics and the bridge ans you would really have something!

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    :)

16. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
    The string spacing for Yamahas is bout 3/4 go to yamaha.com check the specs.I've had about 5 yamaha basses and they are good basses and the strings are 3/4.

17. embellisher

(you)winn(a new)guitars, the John Myung signature model does NOT have 3/4" spacing at the bridge. More like 15.5mm.

18. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    My local Mars had one that had been sitting there for ever,and in February when they had their "Musician's Night Out" I got it.For $539.Plus free pizza and some cool tunes played live by some local musicians.I like it a lot.The low notes have a very full round sound (I put a set of Pedulla Stainless strings on it,the ones on it were shot.) It's a 35" scale and yes,it's kind of heavy,but I don't find it too unconfortable with a good strap.I gigged with it about a half dozen times and found that it sat well with the other instruments.I most likely wouldn't have considered buying this bass at the original price ($1199,) but at the reduced price it's an unbeatable value because it's very well made and has a nice Ebony fretboard.I'd say go for it.BTW,it's also available in Red,and I would have preferred that color,but the Turquoise is nice,too.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The specifications on the Yamaha website don't include string-spacing - but it's clear that they make many basses with different neck widths and string-spacing. TRBs are noted for their very wide necks and wide string spacing whereas RBXs are much narrower.

I think it's a common mistake on this board to lump all of one "brand" in together, whereas of course, there are good and bad Ibanez, Fender, Yamaha etc basses and within the ranges there are basses to suit most people.

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Very good point Bruce, especially since Yamaha makes great basses in essentially every price range...

(ie, *bump*)