Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicians Friend brand rack case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, Feb 23, 2003.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
  2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    son of a mother! I never saw these when i was buyin my racks. I got the skb plastic rotoracks....:bawl: Those look nice, especially if they're actually welded frames.

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Wow, I too have the craptastic skb rotorack, and I wish I had one of those. They look nice....better than the rotorack, at least. Whatever you do, make sure you don't get a rotorack. they are terrible.

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    yeah, i hate skb cases and was never considering getting one. i was about to pay $150 for an anvil knock off when i saw these. i'm sure they're not as sturdy as anvil cases but the price was so reasonable. i'm guessing they're in between skb and "hybrid rack case" quality.

steve

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    thanks for the head's up... :D

6. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Don't know about the fiberboard...it's glorified cardboard. It's a shame that they make them look like ATA Anvil-type cases and mention the 'recessed' handles as one would look for on the higher quality cases. Should work out okay, but it's definitely not a plywood case. Hope it's what you wanted.
    Kim

7. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i should be getting this case later this week. i'll let you know how it is. i'm a little worried because my amp is all tubes and it's pretty heavy.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hey I got a rush of energy on the weekend and started building a 2 RU rack for my amp. It's 2 layers of plywood with foam in between to soak up any shocks. I've added a fan on each side to keep things cool. Not finished yet but the overall cost of parts was a fraction of what I'd pay at a retail store (plus my time, which I'm not counting coz I enjoy doing this sort of stuff).

Has anyone else tried making one of these. How did you go?

9. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    way to go, pete. i'd love to see pictures when you're done.

10. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Those seem only ok to me - I don't like the "Fiberboard" either: sounds too much like glorified cardboard.

I have a 6 space SKB Rotorack and have never had any problems whatsoever with it. The only thing that I wish was different is that the rear only has this removable panel - why not just put a door on the back (like the front)? Sure, it would up the cost slightly, but the removable panel is kinda flimsy. Plus I don't like how the front is completely waterproof with a gasket and the whole bit, but on the back there is no gasket or anything - the plastic door just clips in. Not bashing it - I like SKB products, it just seems like a questionable place to skimp to me. Again though, never had any problems with it, and I also have a bass case from them that I've never had any problems with (though it's a bit beefier).

I also got my Rotorack for $63.25 from Samash.com onsale a few months back - by far the cheapest price I found anywhere. Doubt that's the case still though...

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ummm.....that would depend entirely on how it turns out :) I wasn't gonna try and make it too pretty but suddenly I feel like I should.......

I forgot to mention.... The reason I'm making one is because my cheap SKB copy has started falling appart. Mind you I've had it for years and it doesn't owe me anything so I'm certainly not complaining. ANd yes SKB charge like wounded bulls. So I say go the cheaper rack and look after it.

12. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    You can count me among those rare individuals that actually like SKB's RotoRacks. I really(honest!) didn't plan on liking them...just sorta' happened. All of my other cases are either SKB
    'ATA' or clones. They are fine for my useage. I got the 'Roto' to haul two CP2000 power amps. I don't like the rear access door, either, but it really is not a major problem because I tote all of my own gear. The Rotos are stronger than the 'ATA's and appear to be less likely to 'rack' with a heavier load. That said, if you really intend to put a lot of weight in a case, do yourself a favor and save up for a half-inch Anvil, Calzone or any of the other similarly-constructed case. My application does not require them, but if other folks were doing the load-in, load-out and any sort of common carrier was involved...I'd go the honest-to-goodness ATA route.
    Kim

13. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i got that case today. it looks pretty good. the construction seems pretty solid, certainly not any less than an skb case. the hardware feels like some sort of cheap metal that has been chromed but feels sturdy enough for gigs around town. the fiberboard looks and feels like the plastic skb cases are made of but seems a little thicker. the frame is aluminum. the screws look okay but they don't have the flat bottoms i prefer. they look like they might do some damage to my rack ears if i tighten them too much. all in all, a pretty nice case for $50. i think i will end up sending this back though. the rack depth of 18" is too much for me.

anyone know of any shallow non skb rack cases with a rack depth of around 13"?