musicians friend.........HA

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by old_skool, Apr 28, 2001.

1. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    well guys, i guess you can all start saying "i told ya so". i ordered the bc rich even though many of you told me not to. i got it in the mail on wednesday and opened it up right away. i gotta say i was VERY disappointed. the tone was weak, balanced terribly, played like crap, and most of all just wasnt "me". i was checking it over and saw a HUGE chunk of wood missing from the back corner. it had been painted over, how they missed this flaw is beyond me. i called musicians friend right away. i talked to a half dozen different people and not one of them seemed to know what was going on. when i finally got someone on the phone long enough to get some answers i was shocked at how they handled things. they wanted to send me a new warlock but wanted me to pay all the shipping, but they couldnt ensure me that the "sale items" wont be damaged. i told them it would just be best if i sent it back and cut my loses in shipping. he then went on to ask if there was something they had to make the guitar worth the money! this sounded very cheesy to me. anyway after a lot of bitching i got all my money back and shipping paid both ways. this is the last time i will do business with them.
    sorry for ranting.
  2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I 've been happy with MF. But then, I knew that what I was ordering, at the time, was what I really wanted. I usually receive my items within the quoted time of "2 day shipping".

When it comes to mail order basses, you run the risk of not getting what you wanted.

When I buy basses over the internet, I understand that the worst case scenario is that I'll be out the shipping if I don't like the bass and I return it. I can live with that, given the discounted prices on the net.

that's life.
  3. jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I recently wanted to purchase a hardshell case for my acoustic-electric bass from musician's friend. The guitar was a Fender, which they carried. Although the dimensions matched the case dimensions, I wanted to be sure that it was going to fit before I purchased it. I called twice, spoke to 2 different people, and both said that there was no way they could tell me whether or not the guitar would fit in the case. They also said that there was no one else at MF I could talk to to try and find out. After pressing the last guy I spoke to about talking to someone else he gave me a number to call. I thought it was a MF-related number, but it was the number to Fender in California! I guess you pay for those low prices in one way or another.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

skool -Even though I was one of those who advised against it, I won't say I told you so. Who hasn't flown in the face of reason? I was suckered in by cosmetics when I started out and learned the hard way, too. It's part of maturing. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

You just gained some more wisdom. So, what's the next step?
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm sure you won't think of it this way, but being removed from the problems, I suppose that means I can...It's my opinion that you got more than you think you did. In the long run, you ended up with knowledge that you wouldn't previously have had, and it ended up costing you how much???

I think most of us have made decisions against advice and paid the price for it. Unfortunately, that price is sometimes expensive! My last bass ended up costing me a lot of money for something I was never truly happy with! I ended up trading it in for my Spector and had to eat about $800 on the previous one! THAT hurt:(
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    RAM's right, you did get a very inexpensive but valuable lesson.

In most cases here (the exception being the "_____ sucks" responses) people seem to give honest assessments of gear they've played. Sometimes they're simply trying to help others avoid a "mistake" they've already made.
  7. i also won't say i told you so, i will tell you that you probally should not buy something over the internet unless you have tried it out in a store and even then it can not feel like the same one you played in the store. are you sure you didn't buy a "blem" off of their site buy mistake, they do sell slightly damaged goods at a discount but they are marked this way on the site.

i have only returned one thing out of the many i have bought from MF, to bad they left a bad taste in your mouth. as far as the phone support goes if there is a next time as them to talk to someone in the "real" customer support the people you talked to were the filters.
  8. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    no it wasnt a blem item. it was some easter special, i got a e - mail about it.
    i wasnt trying to make it come off as " this brand sucks " it was just my experience. sorry if i came off that way. actually it ended up costing me nothing due to extensive bitching. i guess i kind of got off easy. this will make me think diffrently when ordering somthing that i havent actually played, meaning that very same bass.
    i did get my bass within 2 days of ordering it. i was very impressed with this, but that was the only thing i was impressed with.
    im not really sure that there is a next step. this was a bass that i was gunna experiment with diffrent tunings on with my band. my " dream " bass is a warwick 5 string thumb. thats a lonnnnng way away. untill then i think ill be saving up for a new amp.
  9. Maybe Crawlingeye was right, you should have gotten the EB-0? :D
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Oh, okay skool. T thought you might be back to square one.

Maybe we can help confuse you on amp selection. I hear there's this great place called Musician's Fiend... ;)
  11. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    naw dude i think im gunna hang in there with my fender jazz. i wasnt trying to replace it or anything, just kinda looking for diffrent tones.
    yeah ill let you guys confuse me with my amp selection but thats a little later down the road. my swr is serving me fine for now though.
  12. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    The main things i buy from MF now are strings for my ashbory $15 a set but if i find them here in town [1 place stocks ashborys] they cost like $30-so i order like 3 sets of strings @ one time. I also buy cords, straps, pics, that sorta thing-i did order my ashbory but it was through the fender dealer that i bought my jazz from. On a different note enitirely-my friend bought a cheap cord [$10 for 30ft] for his guitar, the ends broke [not the plug, the lil' bit surrounding it] so i called them & told them & they shipped it free of charge & didn't make him send back the old cord. yeah i know i'm talkin bout a $10 pos wire while the original poster talkin bout a BC Rich guitar-just somethin to think of. BTW if i had the money [man do i use this alot w/bass :D ] i'd have a BC Rich as a DraculaBass [not fraken-this one is to scare :D :eek: ] thats all
  13. Sabeth

Apr 6, 2001
    quincy, IL USA
    wow. glad i'm not the only one who's slightly dissapointed with MF...i bought some stuff from them a while back. a nice korg effects processor that i had been dying for. i knew i liked it cuz i tried it out at the local music store, so i thought i was all set. so i finally get it (eight days later, i might add) and it's....broken. it was ok on the outside, but when i opened it up to see what was wrong, there were a buncha wires all screwed up and some stuff all broken. that made me pretty mad, so i called and told them what was up. the guy i talked to was a real ass and told me that i was just trying to filch money from them just because i'm fifteen. that really pissed me off, so i called them again later and got a different person. once again, i bitched, and they didn't care. i finally just sent it back and told them to give me a refund. they did, but rather reluctantly. *shrugs* dunno. guess it just bothers me cuz i never had any problems with them before..ah, well.
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What dosen't kill you, only makes you stronget. In this case wiser.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nino, and after all that, it makes you stronger, too! :D

FJC, why would need to replace Ashbory strings?!
  16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I got a Q tron plus plus from them that came un-assembled. You know the switches along the top that slide back and forth for different setting? They were floating around inside in pieces. I put it together and it was fine. Probable someone at the Electro harmonix factory on that one anyway.
  17. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I recently bought a snarlin' dawgs bass bawls bass wah from MF and it arrived on time but I think something may be screwed up with it. It doesn't sound like any wah I've heard before. None of the settings seem to change the sound and it just sounds like instead of going from bass to treble (hence making the wah sound) when I kick it on it bottoms out my treble and when I press it down it goes back to my normal tone settings. It sounds really muffled. Before I could even use the thing though I had to pull it apart and fixt the stupid activation switch. MF or whoever had it set so low that when you pressed down with your foot it wouldn't even touch the switch. I had to do it with my hand. Not cool.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't the point here really nothing to do with Musicians Friend, but rather with learning the lesson that you should always try before you buy?!

My view is that if you buy "unseen" you get what you deserve and I would never buy a bass without trying it, but if I did I would expect that there would be problems and that you have to consider that you might need to return it.

What I mean by that, is you are expecting to get a cheap deal - cheaper than in a store - then the compromises have to be made somewhere. If you buy in a store you know exactly what you have got and pay a bit more for that security. If you decide to go for the cheapest deal then you also take on teh risks associated with that and shouldn't complain about it.