Musician's Friend, How I Loathe Thee...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghouldani, Oct 26, 2005.

1. ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    I recieved my Platinum Warlock bass today (a day ahead of schedule, +1). It came in a cardboard box that was put in another slightly smaller cardboard box. The only padding present was to support the neck. What the hell were they thinking? UPS workers don't treat each package like their firstborn. Anyone else have negative experiences with the big MF?
  2. ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    Forgot to report on the bass. I like it's weight, the bitchin' headstock and the dual hums. It's seems to be too snappy. Since I am returning it might I find solace in an Epiphone Explorer or Thunderbird?
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Maybe something rounder will sound good too? ;)
  4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I bought one bass from MF, a Rumblefish. It arrived naked in a box with just a slice of bubble wrap on the neck, flopping around inside like bra-less boobs.

Astonishingly, there was no damage. I returned it because they screwed me outta the hardcase, which was promised when I phoned in my order.

On the upside (sorta), they took it back and refunded all my money, including shipping, and even appologized.
  5. Are you returning it because of the shipping damage, (...that you've told us nothing so far had happened), or because you don't like the sound of the bass? If it's the bass, then whassup with posting a thread against Musician's Friend?

I'm not condoning the shipping method, but what does that have to do with a bass that you don't like the tone of??? :confused:
  6. Dr Stankface

Dr Stankface Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The man has a point.
  7. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    For that matter, anyone ever consider that MF may just be reshipping it in the box that they got it from the factory in? Why the hell would MF unpackage and repackage an instrument when they are just a mail order house. The out box was probably from MF, and the inner the original with the bass . . . so call who built it and bitch them out . . .

- Tim
  8. ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    Hell yes, I'm returning it because of damage. I didn't pay for a blemished bass. I am "dissing" their shipping methods because it damaged my bass.
  9. Oh! NOW you mention it's damaged...

Well, "Hell yes"!, then, by all means. Send it back!

Next time give the full story at the beginning, please.
  10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    IMO, B.C. Rich basses are blemished when they come out of the factory. :rolleyes:
  11. Bull44

Dec 13, 2004
    /agreed :meh:
  12. Templar

Actually, with MF's 30 day return policy, they get stuff back all the time. Naturally they have to inspect returned items before doling out any refunds.

Ever wonder what happens to all those returns? Yep....repacked and resold. One can imagine the sequence of events afterwards.
  13. I'm so glad I read this. I was seriously considering getting a Musicman from these guys. There's no way that's happening now. Thanks Ghouldani. I'd rather go to GC and spend a tad extra then wait a month for a fu**ed up bass.
  14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yup... they're listed as "blem", or if more banged-up, a "scratch and dent" and marked down accordingly. I've purchased a blem SKB Roll-X rack that was perhaps at 90% of new at 25% off the usual price. The truly destroyed inventory gets sold at their Kansas City warehouse - I've friends who have found great deals even their.

Sorry if it's the hip thing to hate MF (or GC, for that matter) but I've bought 2 basses that arrived in perfect condition, and they've always been more than fair with pricematching (to the point of matching the price on my QSC PLX 1602 that was so low it was a good used price and stating "We're not making any money off of this order"), returns, and special ordering a item for me. I as much as anyone like to support local businesses, but when living in the middle of nowhere Kentucky and the two closest shops were incompetent, overpriced, and unhelpful as best I have no problem taking my fairly large amount of money spent elsewhere.

Color me a satisfied customer.
  15. Templar

The Rumblefish that I bought was not brand new, although there was no indication of this in the listing. It was prominently featured alongside all the new basses, and priced very high.

When it came I could see "dulling" on the guard just above the pups. Someone played it a while before returning it.

That did'nt bother me, but what did annoy me was that the bass reeked of cheap cologne! It was coming off the rosewood fretboard, and strongly.

I'm just sayin that you may not be the first owner when you buy there. Not sure I'd want to buy an amp from them.

Caveat Emptor, eh?
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Doesn't someone on the boards work in the Musician's Friend returns department?
  17. ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    I'm sorry, I thought I posted about the mashed corners. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Musician's Friend. I get a free catalog every season (sometimes more often) and their products are priced decent.

I was thinking about scoring either a Fender-J or an ESP F-104. I play metal. I searched the forum but I couldn't really find any pro/con posts about either bass. I know they have been commented on but I couldn't find anything in detail.
  18. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've purchased two basses from Musicians Friend and both arrived in perfect condition. I have no complaints.

And I bought a "blem" mandolin and couldn't find a blemish anywhere.
  19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Like Showdown, I'm out here in the middle of the Pacific and bought a lot from Musicians Friend over the years. I never had a problem, they where very fast, plus they did a good packaging job. No complaints here!
  20. ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    I don't see why they did a shoddy job with me. I've purchased 3 chords, a practice amp, an amp head, and a muff (traded it back because after a battery died in both of them it would never turn back on, even with an adaptor) from them.