Musician's Friend Rack Cases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd be concerned that the butterfly latches are on the rack itself, as opposed to the lids. Problem is, if you put your rack on top of your speakers, those latches will vibrate and make a hell of a noise while you are playing. This won't happen if the latches are on the lids.

Also, they aren't "roadie" sturdy. They'll be fine if you carry your own stuff, but won't last too long if roadies start dropping them out of trucks.
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've got a 4-space from when I purchased a rack full of stuff to get one component. Currently I have a power amp in it that gets used to drive monitors (so it doesn't sit on a vibrating bass stack).

The fiberboard is thinner and lighter than expected. The hardware is impressively massive and solid. Overall it's not as lightweight as a plastic case (SKB, Gator) but not has heavy as a wooden case. It's pretty deep and the covers are deep as well.

I move all my stuff myself so I can't say how it would hold up to roady-treatment. I would buy one if I needed a rack of those dimensions. I think they are a good value for the price when I compare to the solid wood and molded rack cases I've bought.

I don't think it would be as impervious to liquids (spills, rain) as a molded case but that's an impression - not something I have any hard evidence about.
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've bought a bunch of these cases. They're a good value for the buck, but I'd say their utility is in the consolidation, not protection. They gather your equipment in one package, allow pre-connection and do protect against light impact hazards. Don't really seal against moisture. Should be good for local use.