1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musician's Friend :( Sweetwater :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Terrik, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Terrik

Terrik

Jul 21, 2007
    Alamo
    I recently purchased 2 x basses.. and misc other GAS...

basically Musician's Friend urinated all over the order.. and when i called "customer service".. I got anything but....

so, after 7 years, and thousands of dollars spent at Musician's "Friend"... that was my last purchase...

meanwhile..

Sweetwater was the polar opposite, friendly, polite, knowledgable, and all over it like white on rice... their website isn't as user friendly as MF, but the staff is 100 times more helpful :D

just FYI...

from one bass player to others :D

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    +1. Sweetwater rules.

I bought a computer interface a few months ago and they actually called me around 3 months after the purchase, just to make everything was okay with my purchase and that I was enjoying my equipment . . . wicked.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    There is a guitar player I grew up with in WV that works there named Dave H.

Good guy.

4. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Sweetwater and SameDayMusic are my 'go to' online retailers...

5. I ordered a strap from musicians friend a month ago. I just got another email from them claiming it will be another 30 days :scowl:

6. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    zZounds.com has a smaller selection of equipment, but a lot of free shipping deals and a great return policy. And when I had a problem, the staff was more than willing to make it right. I will be going to them for all my business unless I can't find it there :)

7. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I use sweetwater for everything I can.

8. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Joel over at Sweetwater has been very helpful.

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Sweetwater and American Musical Supply are my online retailers of choice. Sweetwater has obviously decided to make their niche excellent customer support, both pre and post sale.

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I work for the same company that owns MF. If you saw our computer systems and knew how spread out the inventory is... and how much stuff it says is there but really isn't... you might understand a little better.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sweetwater is the bee's knees and has a better catalog, too. :)

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

My horror story:

Last year I ordered a PA that was on slae, an Alesis 6x
    for 199. Great deal.

I threw in a few odds and ends that were on sale. I asked
    if the unit was in stock, and was told it was.

The next Tuesday a small bow arrived. A couple of XLR
    cords and 2 mikes. No PA.

So I call.

'Sorry, its out of stock.'

'You told me it was in stock, so when can I get it.'

'Sorry, its been discontinued by the manufacturer.'

So, I found one on the internet and talked the guy into
    matching the MF price with in 10 bucks. He was gonna
    take it back from Alesis as he had stock but wasn't offered
    the sale ( not really legal to promote that way btw.)

Lately, I noticed the unit was in the catalogs again.

So I got screwed there, for sure. No excuse for a mail order
    merchant to have such poor service.

13. sounds like the company needs to get in better control of its inventory, not like the people need to be more understanding of their inadequate system.

14. I bought my Fender 4x10 Pro Sl cab from MF a few years ago. I live in Hawaii (in the middle of the Pacific Ocean), they shipped UPS GROUND! UPS had to send it back to the MF wharehouse so they could change the shipping method to 2nd Day Air. It arrived with a dented grill. At least they honored their price matching. They dropped the price a week after I bought it.

Did anyone else see the additional charge for heavy/oversized items at MF? I was looking at bass amp heads on their website (non of the all-tube heads, Ampeg, Fender, or Marshall can be shipped to Hawaii), some of the amps with the surcharge of $69.00 were smaller and weighed less than those without the surcharge! Even if I liked shopping at MF, I can't afford to do business with them.

Rant over! Mahalo!

SameDayMusic, zZounds, and AmericanMusicalSupply have the same inventory for the most part. I've used them all, and like their service. Easy payment (zero interest) is a good thing about AmericanMusicalSupply. zZounds has the best shipping rates to Hawaii.

I talked to people at Sweetwater and Sam Ash, The people at both stores were very helpful.

Music123 and Musiciansfriend are the most difficult to work with and are generally slower, although Music123 personnel were generally helpful and polite.

15. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just love MF's silver, gold, and platinum protection coverages. I especially love it when they ask me if I would like to get their gold coverage on my mic cable for an additional $59.99. :D

Oh I am not fond of Sweetwater either. ALL their gear are marked up 10% above everyone else. Their excuse is because of their "excellent service". So my question is "Should I have to pay premium prices on your items because giving me services I should be getting anyway?" HELL NO!!!

16. I like American Musical Supply because they can break up the payments--my guitar player just got a vox AC30 head and 412 cab and instead of charging him for all of it, they broke it up into monthly 250 dollar payments...sure I could get a credit card, but it is so much easier to do it that way!

17. Danimal00

Danimal00 Dealer: Sweetwater

Feb 28, 2006
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sound Senior Sales Engineer
    Hi Tomis17,

I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion about pricing here, but I do want to correct mis-information. On most items in the music equipment retail industry, there is a minimum advertised price that a manufacturer allows. That is why you see everything at the same price from MF, AMS, Zzounds, Music123, ect. They may be a few pennies off, such as 199.99, 199.97, or 199.95, but that is hardly 10% of a markup from what other dealers advertise at.

I could spend the time to link the same products webpage from each retailer to illustrate my point, but I don't think that it is necessary.

It sounds like you may have a bad experience with Sweetwater. If that is the case, I am sorry. Please PM me so we can talk about what happened. I'll do what I can to make it right for you. I take care of my customers.

Thanks,
    Dan

18. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    There are plenty of people who will gladly pay a premium for service. That being said, I don't see where there is a 10% mark up on Sweetwater's products. Every retailer pretty much advertises everything at the same price. If anything, Sweetwater is cheaper than the other retailers because they offer free shipping on almost everything with no minimum order.

19. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I've worked with Sweetwater for many years and have a close repationship with my Salesperson. He will email, call, or mail a postcard EVERY time I buy from them. Their customer service is the BEST.

They ALWAYS will match any legit price that the other stores are asking.

+1 for Sweetwater.

Mike

PS go to their site and sign up for the weekly email; some very good tech tips and other info .....

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, he's my guy too.