Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musician's Friend WARNING

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Javy, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    I just had a bad experience with Mucician's Friend and wanted to warn you guys about their policy.

I thought I'd try their inexpensive Rogue bass strings by Gibson, so I ordered three sets one and a half months ago. It turns out one of the sets had a bad A-string (it was dead and rattled when played as if the winding was not fastened securely to the core), which effectively makes the whole set useless, so I called Musician's Friend to see if they would replace it. The phone rep said no, so I asked to speak with somebody in management. A supervisor told me that they would not replace the string because (1) it was beyond the 45-day return period, and (2) they don't accept returns on strings.

As far as (1) is concerned, did they really expect me to use all three sets of strings within 45 days so that I could check for potential defects? Concerning (2), I can understand not taking strings back (Who wants to buy strings that have already been opened?), but when the product is defective, that's a different story.

The supervisor went on to say that it wasn't worth sending me an A-string when the shipping that they'd have to pay would cost several times as much as the string. That's easy for him to say! He's not the one who just got ripped off!

2. Good example of bad customer service, from a company that I myself have been very pleased with service-wise....

They should bend on this one and replace the defective sets with new ones...it won't break their bank account and it's good relations. Otherwise, threads like this come up that might make people hesitate to deal with them.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I would send a complaint to Rogue/ Gibson. You should get a replacement set of strings. (at least!)

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    This is MF's official guarantee...it might help to know this, BEFORE you place an order. But....they don't make it easy to find...AND....it should also be clearly stated in the strings section. It certainly DOES give one pause, about ordering more than one set of strings at a time. AND..
    how do you know a string is bad, BEFORE you open it???

MF's guarantee....

"If you are not completely satisfied with any product*, return it for a full refund of the product purchase price, full credit, or exchange ­ your choice. We give you 45 days from the shipping date. That's the best guarantee in the music industry.

*Opened or used sets of strings, computer software, sound cards, tubes, internal earphones, earplugs, harmonicas, raw-frame speakers, pickups that have been installed, books, cassettes, CDs and videos are non-returnable. All returned items must be in original packing, complete with warranty card and owner's manual, and show no signs of wear or abuse. Any items returned incomplete or without original packaging are subject to a $25 processing charge, plus the cost of replacing missing items. Returns under $5 will receive full credit instead of cash refund. Bank card returns will be issued a credit for purchase price. Refunds are for product value only, not including shipping and handling. Publisher does not accept liability for incorrect spelling, printing errors (including prices), incorrect manufacturer's specifications or changes, or grammatical inaccuracies in any product included in the Musician's Friend catalog or Website. Prices subject to change without notice. Prices in this catalog supersede all previous catalogs."

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Caveat emptor, dude. But at least you learned the lesson before you got drilled by MF for a really expensive item.

And while MF may have lived up to the letter of their warranty, they're still boneheads -- for the price of a set of strings, they lost a customer for life.

6. BassGuy

BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    I agree that MF blew by not trying to satisfied the customer; for the cost of a set of strings, they have lost a customer.

I would say the fault, though, lies with Rogue/Gibson. I have it from several people, including a salesman at Guitar Center, that Rogue equipment is CRAP! So, I would say don't buy anything with the name Rogue on it. I think Gibson blew it for linking their name with this inferior line.

I have had good experience with MF's return policy. I tried a Zoom 506 (which I think is a toy, btw) and returned it. They credited my credit card, no questions asked.

BassGuy

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
  8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    DAMN YOU! You are calling a toy my new Hot Rodded maximum turbo-tone multi-tube high-tech effects UNIT!!!
    LOL
    :D

9. Yup, I also heartily recommend http://www.juststrings.com . They are exemplary, and a great place to buy strings. I've had nothing but fine service from them.

10. wow i am kind of shocked, i have bought 2 basses from them and haven't had a problem, luckily, i would def. contact gibson about them, they have sent me free strings in the past. i wouldn't buy cheap strings either, thanks for the info

11. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I hear they also donate part of the money we pay them to PETA, the radical animal rights organization. Anti medical research, anti pet owner, anti hunter, anti meat eating.

12. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I use their catalog for information like specifications on certain equipment.Then buy it somewhere else,as they are always more expensive.Also when a catalog says "callfor best price"I assume they are trying to hide something,or trying to get as much as they can from each customer,and "play" us all.I heard Guitar Center bought them out.
    Buy strings somewhere else.
    There initials say it all!MF!

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I agree that MF should replace the strings. So you will then have three new sets of crappy strings. Why buy 'em in the first place? Was $10 a set savings (or whatever) worth the aggravation? This is probably one of those "you get what you pay for" situations.

14. man i bought the same strings but i never used em because the just looked too cheap

i wouldnt buy anything from rogue, especially basses

i would recommend avoiding musicians friend(more like enemy)
    ive also had bad experiences with them

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No doubt, you get what you pay for in most cases.:rolleyes: I wouldn't expect anything "Rogue" to last through lunch, much less 45 days as MF clearly mentions. As the English say, "Penny wise and pound foolish." Cold, but true.

16. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I have bought some strings from Musician's Friend with no problems, But I have also heard the horror stories. One in particular comes to mind about the guy who decides to sell all of his equipment to buy a Jackson signature series guitar, only to find that the neck on his set-neck guitar is out of alignment with the body, making his guitar a 1700
    dollar piece of junk. when he tried to return it, Musician's "Friend" refused to honor their return policy, and he was forced to file a lawsuit against them, which had to be filed in three different states, with three different lawyers, he did eventually get his money back, but after paying the lawyers, didn't have enough left to buy a Squire Strat. motto: don't buy from them if you can't afford to throw that money in the toilet.