Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musician's Friend WARNING

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Javy, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    I just had a bad experience with Mucician's Friend and wanted to warn you guys about their policy.

I thought I'd try their inexpensive Rogue bass strings by Gibson, so I ordered three sets one and a half months ago. It turns out one of the sets had a bad A-string (it was dead and rattled when played as if the winding was not fastened securely to the core), which effectively makes the whole set useless, so I called Musician's Friend to see if they would replace it. The phone rep said no, so I asked to speak with somebody in management. A supervisor told me that they would not replace the string because (1) it was beyond the 45-day return period, and (2) they don't accept returns on strings.

As far as (1) is concerned, did they really expect me to use all three sets of strings within 45 days so that I could check for potential defects? Concerning (2), I can understand not taking strings back (Who wants to buy strings that have already been opened?), but when the product is defective, that's a different story.

The supervisor went on to say that it wasn't worth sending me an A-string when the shipping that they'd have to pay would cost several times as much as the string. That's easy for him to say! He's not the one who just got ripped off!

2. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    It's always a bummer to get defective products. But really - you're buying the rock bottom lowest priced strings on the planet. They're low priced because they cut corners and quality control is obviously one of those corners.

3. Ditto Old blue, You do get what you pay for in the bass gear world. Personally I never like to see unsatisfied customers, but perhaps one could chalk this up to a learning experience. We have all knowingly bought lesser quality stuff trying to find the elusive bargain. However I hate to see Musicians Freind getting the heat for it . I buy all my strings from them (D'addario and Ernie Balls)they have always given me the best prices and service of any net vendor I've ever used, and I have used several in my day.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the two last posters - strings are not the area to cut corners. They're all cheap compared to the cost of a bass or amp and I would always advise going for the most expensive you can afford - all this has done is illustrate the point that going for cheap strings is a false economy. I have always found that more expensive strings last longer anyway and have less problems, so save you money in the long run!

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm going to step out on a limb here, and disagree with a couple of other posters. I think that products should work for their intended purpose. If your strings are defective, either the retailer or the manufacturer/importer/distributor or whatever, should do whatever is required to supply you with useable strings. If I were you, I would write to the manufacturer or call them, explain the problem, ask them to make it good, and complain about MF. Also, if someone gives me crappy service, I don't deal with them any more. There are tons of places to buy strings, find one that offers good service.

If you manage to get the problem solved (and I'd try, more for principle than money), write a letter to MF explaining what steps you had to take to get a piddly A string for crying out loud and why you won't deal with them anymore. At least that's what I'd do.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Bruce's post came in while I was typing mine. I agree with him that more expensive strings are often better, although many find GHS Boomers or Ernie Ball Slinkys to be just what they need (of course, these are a step up from Rogues). I just put some Elixirs on my Precision, and they are really nice, just the sound I was looking for. However, I still think that if Rogue Bass Strings are sold as bass strings, they should function as such.

7. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    ditto what Max power said. Those rogues may be cheap, but MF still made 100-200% mark-up. Anyway the manufactuer would reimburse the dist. for the replacement cost. It may only be one string but, they should recognize the potential lifetime revenue lost from you and everyone you tell. Try http://www.juststrings.com they were very good to me. Also since R.Cocco retired my favorites have been DR's.