Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musician's Friend...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pd_5string, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Thumbs up

112 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. Thumbs down

46 vote(s)
    29.1%
  1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    What is the general consensus on dealing with musician's friend?

Thumbs up?

Thumbs down?

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    undicided
    i have bought one thing from them.
    it got here when they said it would intact.
    but i like it support the local music store.
    i will pay the extra money to go to someone who wants my bussines

steve

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've had good sevice and bad service from them, mostly good. The bad was when they charged me for 2nd Day Air, but shipped it Priority Mail. They did this twice, but did refund the difference in shipping after I called them both times. Other than that, I've had no problems. In fact, living in Hawaii where the selection in music stores is limited, and the prices are excessively high, mail order is the way I buy a lot of stuff, so Musicians Friend has helped a lot.

4. what would you need to order from them?

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've only ordered strings from them (6 packs total). The price was good, but shipping & delivery was horrible - 11 days before they were shipped (defeated the purpose of 2 day Air).

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ordered my first bass through them, no hassles.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Made my first purchase last week... we'll see.

8. I like MF.

I've bought a bass, a guitar (still for sale, see FS forum), a flanger pedal, gig bag, a couple of books, bridge cover for P bass, and a triple guitar stand. I've never had a problem with shipping. I had only one problem, but that was with the bank who runs the MF platinum card, not with MF. I've probably spent nearly $700 on stuff with only that one speed bump.

They have some stuff local stores don't carry, and I can only find on ebay.

Edit: remebered more stuff i got from them.

9. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I've experienced good service from MF with no surprises, although at this point I've only ordered a guitar tuner and a gig bag from them.

10. I've ordered a few things from them and have had only very good service. I wouldn'y order a guitar or amp from any mail order/ catalog company. I want to play it and hear it since all guitars feel different. The shipping cost will also reduce the savings you will probably get. Plus if you need a set up or adjustment they won't or can't do it.

11. Mostly good. I have bought a bass, and my dad bought a guitar from them. Both came when they said in perfect condition. I have also visited there store in Kansas City. Lots of fixer uppers there, but when they first opened I got my Ampeg BSE410HLF for $400 b/c 2 of the metal corners had been bent. My friend also ordered a Crate guitar amp and a 4x12 and both came just fine.

jtbp

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    used to be mostly thumbs up till my recent VBass incident;
    now a big poopy thumbs down!

13. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    you can trust musicians friend, a good place to buy. if you dont like the product you can send it back as long as it isnt over a 45 day period. and you get a complete refund

14. For me, service has been good (well, almost good). The only problem I've had is they didn't ship an in-stock amp for almost two weeks.

I think their prices are a bit too high - on most stuff I think it pays to surf the web and see if you can do better.

15. I've ordered a lot of stuff from MF and never had any problems. So, Thumbs Up from me.

16. Ionic Eye

Ionic Eye

May 13, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS!!! I've bought two things from them, and they've screwed with me both times; they're long stories, so I'll try to be descriptively brief...

First, I ordered a Hartke B-30 Combo from them; the ad in the MF mag said it had a Contour Control; when I got it, it didn't have one (maybe Hartke's fault? I'm not sure).
    So, I called MF, they said sorry, keep it, or send it back and we'll give you a discount on a B-60, which DOES have Contour. So, that's cool, I go for that option, although more expensive.
    The guy says, "I'll take care of the price difference on your credit card, no problem, blah, blah."
    So, months later I get a letter from MF, real ugly, saying "Since you haven't responded to our requests for payment, we're going to report you and ruin your credit", etc, etc. Now, I never received anything from them; they said they were going to charge the extra amount for the new combo, which they never did, I guess, so great service.

Then, I decide to order an SWR Mo' Bass from them (I'm a slow learner), with the free foot controller. I get it and the head was obviously a return. Now, for $1500, I don't want a head that someone was abusing for 45 days, so I ask for a new one. They say I need to ship it and the foot controller back, although the controller was a new unit. Finally, I get permission to just return the head. MUCH LATER, I'm told the order didn't go through on my credit card; I say "It's a return, there shouldn't be any charge."
    Finally, they clear it up, and I get my new Mo' Bass. Next credit card statement there's ANOTHER $1500 charge for a new Mo' Bass head; so they tried charging me TWICE for a REPLACEMENT.

C'mon, I mean, how inept can one company be? How many other "extra charges" do they make and get away with?
    Hell, and then, to top it all off, I come here to TalkBass and discover that my beloved Mo' Bass is the worst and most hated head of the entire forum! I mean, Brad Johnson hates it, for crying out loud! How many times over must one person get screwed on a purchase!?! From now on, I'm sticking with Kraco... Or maybe Realistic?
    Matt

17. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I like 'em - but only for certain things - let me 'splain.....

just bought a TE combo from 'em for $399 (which was way cool) but I had to spend $80 for shipping - which sucks right - for GROUND via truck.....but lo and behold they fubar'd and sent it 3 day on ups, so yeah they're cool for that....

but a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) I bought a set of straplocks from them which came about 4 months after I ordered them (but it wasn 't their fault - except they shipped 'em).

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've had one experience with them, buying strings. They shipped what I'd asked for in approximately the time they promised the delivery. No big deal.

But, I've also found that anything they carry that I'd want, I can always find cheaper, which MF is a little reluctant to keep pace on...IME, they'll only match published prices. The deals I can strike up usually don't get published.

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I like them. Lots of stuff that my local music stores don't have, plus I don't have to deal with pushy sales people. I've heard some horror stories, but a lot of them happened around the time they were moving from different warehouses, which is understandable. Last thing I bought from them were Fender Nylon Filament strings that were half off, excellent service and a great deal on strings. Once though, my dad ordered 2 10" Kustom Cabs from them and it was like 8 months before they sent them out. To make up for their blunder, they sent him to 12" for free. :)

I plan on buying the cab I want from Musician's Friend.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Let's be real about this, Matt. I don't "hate" the Mo' Bass amp, I just don't "like" it. "I" wouldn't "buy" one let alone recommend it to others. I honestly can't think of any gear I hate but I can think of some I wouldn't buy. Big difference. I can't speak for any of the others here who also don't seem to be fond of it. I'm hardly the only one.

What I do hate is when people take what I say and embellish it beyond recognition;)