Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musician's Friend's Tubular Stands Warning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lokire, Sep 15, 2005.

1. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/450819/

Recently I decided that I felt safe enough to take a couple basses out of their cases and into stands whenever they're not being played - to be admired :smug:

I've got a couple A-frame style stands already but they don't fit basses very well unless the bottom is fairly flat and symettrical. So I got a couple of those tubular stands from Musicians Friend, but they don't feel very safe to me. They seem to do alright with a couple of my guitars but when I put my bass on there it'll tip over (frontways) with just a small nudge from the back. Like the front legs aren't positioned far enough forward to offset the weight very well. Especially when I go to pick the bass up off the stand - as soon as I lean the bass forward and take the weight off the neck retainer, *tip* goes the stand. Very annoying. :rollno:

Right now I've got them lined up with an HSC laying over the back legs to pin them down. I'm thinking about duct-taping the legs to the floor or something :p

Anyone else have a simmilar experience? Or do you have a reccommendation for a good safe stand?

2. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I just one about two weeks ago, seems fine to me. Although I don't use those type of stands on stage. For stage I only use the Ultimate GS100 stands. They are very hard to knock over and are way more solid then the tube stands, plus they pack up smaller. I have used them for many years on the road, and my Alembic has not came out once (thank God)!

Ultimate GS100 Stand

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    IME, there really isn't such a thing as a safe stand.

That said, those multiple-guitar Warwick RockStands look and feel more secure than any single-guitar stand I've come across.

4. Actually, I have one of the 7 space Rockstands and while it works fine (for some body shapes!!!) and is fairly safe, it keeps all the guitars sideways and doesn't really display them. That and it's full :p

I like the looks of those Ultimate stands - but does the headstock have to be fairly even on both sides for it to hang well?

5. I use the Musician's Friend stand. Never had a problem with it.

6. My EDA wouldnt fit on one of them :( (the hercules one i take you mean)

Ive got a larger A frame one that has adjustable bits on each side, so its fairly good for all bar the spikey shaped basses, and the neutick jack on my BTB

7. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, I just got one of these and I agree, it's not very stable, it's prone to tipping forward. I also have an older model cheap MF stand that is much more stable. This one has a different design to it. I only use this new one at home while practicing in the den. When I'm done practicing, the bass goes back in the case.

I was going to experiment with the height adjustment, to see if that makes it more stable, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

8. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thank you thank you thank you! I'm sold! That's what I've been looking for!

To the OP - yup, I can't stand those type of stands, especially with the fork that holds the bass/guitar, it moves around and gets tangled up in a strap. Ugh.

9. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I can vouch for that. I have the same one, its foldable and works great

10. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    As do I, solid stand

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I LOVE the Ultimate Stands. Especially since my 7-space Rockstand wandered off. The only problem I have with them is that my Roscoe tends to slide from the padded leg on it's treble side. Any of you with the Roscoe LG body shape might want to make sure you don't have the same experience before buying one.

12. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I have one of these, a Hercules double stand that I picked up at Smash:

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/guitars/accessories/guitar-stands/Hercules/GS422B.asp

Best. Stand. Ever.

When I saw it, I immediately recognized it as a Verithing(tm). You know, one of those products you see and exclaim, "Why, the very thing!"

The bass hangs from it, rather than resting on its butt. And the hanger mechanism is rigged so that as soon as you hang any weight on it, a couple of fingers flip up and LOCK the bass in place. Lift the bass and the fingers flip down. Zero hassle, total security.

13. Cool. I don't like the double/triple stands as much though. Because with those, there's always a bass facing the back. I'd rather have a couple single stands. But I'll definatly keep those Ultimate stands in mind for my next stand purchase :bassist:

14. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
  15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I always use Tubular stands and as long as you set them outta the way, in a corner to display, they work fine. Always put them in the Rockstand for semi-long periods of storage, both other than that, when they're in the midst of being used, Tubular stands work fine. Just don't run into them.

16. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yes, absolutely. I have two basses, so unless I'm not playing there's always just one on board.

I can't say enough good things about this stand. Hardware, fit and finish, and design all top-notch. Compared to the crappy stands most of us use, it's very expensive...but I'm hooked and will never look back.

17. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the feedback on this. I'll opt for the latter. But dammit, I gotta block this site at work, and ebay too! Evil Evil!

I should just block all images so I can resist!

18. +1 for the hecules stands.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy a double or a triple when I bought my single. They take a little while to get used to, but once you do they feel SO solid. Only thing is that they don't fold down real small, but what good stands do?

19. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah those stands are deathtraps. i want one of those wall racks.

20. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I use these, from Carvin for $15. I use 'em for acoustics, Dobros, basses, electric g**t*rs, and even for a mixer stand on occasion. The new ones are much improved over the old ones, but 2 of the old ones will fit in my Fender bag for taking to gigs.
    http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=GSD3&CID=ACC
    I also have a "Last Stand" from Elderly that holds 4 instruments, but it's awkward...you have to carefully lift the axe out the side, which, in the heat of the moment, can put scratches on your baby.