1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicians Gear Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Apr 27, 2010.

1. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    They're alright. Certainly not good, but well worth what you pay for them. I have a set on my OLP currently

2. are they worth buying or should i just get some ernie balls?

3. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Wouldn't hurt to try out a set since they're so cheap.

4. SquierBender

SquierBender

Oct 22, 2009
    I tried those once. They were good other than a dead string, which I scraped against the bridge to fix.

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    +1 maybe you'll like 'em. who cares what other people think if you dig them:bassist:

EDIT: only if you're already planning on placing an order... because those $8 strings will turn into $16 strings real quick once you add shipping. then you might as well go to your local shop and just get a normal set

6. I have a couple of sets of these. They're not bad and will do in a pinch.

7. I put a set on my Peavey Cirrus USA one time, they sounded great.

Then again, I am not all that picky about strings, aside from material, gauge, and winding. I think alot of it is packaging, marketing, PR, endorsements, hype, word of mouth, etc.

BaltoNealio likes this.
  8. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Bingo. I think it's all about playing what gives you the sound you want to have; whatever brand is on the box is irrelevant. Being happy with your sound is key.

I had a set on my Jazz for quite a while. I bought them on a whim and was using them as a "filler" set, waiting for a new shipment of Ernie Balls to come in after my previous ones went dead. I ended up keeping them on. They felt good and sounded, to my ear, as good as what I typically use. Also, let's be honest - who in the audience, other than maybe a couple of experienced bass players, is really going to be able to discern between different brands of roundwound string in a live setting?

As someone else mentioned, just be sure that you're using them to supplement another purchase - shipping expenses can make them just as expensive as anything else.

BaltoNealio likes this.