Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musician's Institute

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by DryDrunk, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Hello, I'm a high school senior and I want to pursue music as a career. I plan on going to music school after graduation, but I don't know where to go. I am leaning towards Musician's Institute, but it is pretty expensive. I'm hoping to get financial aid and such(afterall, I am from Eastern Kentucky, an economically deprived region). Do you have anyexperiences from MI...or any tips on financial aid? Thanks in advance!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I am long since removed from financial aid (although as my kids will all too soon be getting to that age). Musicians Institute does a good job as well as places like the Bass Collective in NYC. What I would really concern myself with is getting a degree in music and a minor in something else that is "more marketable". If you're going to spend the money, you need to come out with something more than talent. Being a talented musician, unfortunatly is not a ticket to success (think Fieldy). There are places where you can study, make connections and get a rea; degree. I was a bit confused at the MI web site concerning the degree they offer. I've never heard of a B.A. in Commercial Music (what the hell does that mean, anyway?). I'm not saying going to the Bass Collective or MI won't make you a better player - it certainly will. I just don't think that the education you get there, in itself, will get you any work. Some schools like Berklee offer Music Ed degrees. You can study your instrument and still get out of school with a degree to fall back on. Other schools like the University of Indiana, University of Miami or North Texas State have wonderful music porgrams as well as degrees in other fields. Take a long hard look at these options. One of my students just got a music scholorship to a university. He gets to play and study bass while getting a degree in music ed and a minor in Business.

Mike

3. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    If you dont mind me asking...but who was the student and where is he/she going to school? thanks
    Chad

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Chad,
    you shoul know, it's John R.

Mike

5. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    yeah i knew it was him. I havent talked to him in awhile... Do you know what he played for his audition? All i ever heard him play in high school was Autumn Leaves and some Vic Wooten lics. peace
    Chad

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    We worked on his audition together. I think he might have played the Autumn Leaves thing. He also had to demonstrate the ability to improvise a bass line over a jazz standard and a blues form. I think he also did a wooten style piece as well. Next time I talk to him, I'll find out for sure

Mike