MUSICIANS NEEDED: Serious callers only?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FenderHotRod, Aug 13, 2005.

1. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    When people put these ads. in the paper what do most people mean by "Serious Callers Only"?

In my local paper there are two ads for Musicians needed, but both say serious callers only. My problem is I don't know if i'm what they would call a serious caller. My job kind of prevents me from practicing in groups that are die hard bands. I would like to join a band just for fun and to just jam with people.

So I guess my question is how do you know if you are a the serious caller they they are really looking for?

sorry if this seems like a goofy question, but I just don't think im the serious one they need. But then agian I might just be. :confused:
  2. Not a goofy question. it's goofy to put that in the ad.

If they weren't serious, they would not have an ad in the paper. The only reason for putting it in is to weed out some people (obviously).

The only way you will find out your question is by calling them. Don't mention you schedule situation, just ask them what their rehearsal, gig schedule is like. If it sound good take it from there, if not say thank you and tell them you will have to get back to them. If they ask why, tell them you have a schedule conflict.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Good advice Chunk.

When I think of serious, I don't think it's a schedule thing as much as, "I just want to jam, no writing/no giging" or someone who doesn't know their instrument. More a question of maturity. You can't expect everyone in a band to be unemployed... they gotta mooch off somebody. :D
  4. "Hey, is your refrigerator running?"
    "Then you better go catch it!"

LOL! :p
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The phrase "Serious inquiries only" can be daunting, but if a band has an ad that sounds interesting to you, call anyway. I think for the most part what they mean is no pre-teens, no one without transportation, no one with amateur or poor quality equipment, no beginners or inexperienced players, no one who can seldom rehearse.

You have every right to call and make inquiries to discover if the band is a proper fit for you and you for them. Evidently their ad is not complete enough to answer these questions without your having to call and discuss what it is they are looking for.

So call, because I am sure your inquiry would be serious even if the result is that either you or the band do not match.
  6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Why don't you call one the ads and just ask them what they mean?

7. There ya go.

My guess is that they probably don't want to deal with the flakey unreliable musicians that we've all encountered. Serious probably means you'll do what you say you'll do when you say you'll do it.

Ads are charged by words, characters or by length. So, there isn't much space to expound on what "serious" means. I would guess a phone call could solve this mystery, Scooby Doo.