1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musician's Nightmare Last Night

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CrashClint, Apr 29, 2009.

1. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Man, I am dead tired. I had a crazy nightmare. One of those that seem to last all night where you are running around frantically.

The nightmare starts where I get a call to fill in at a festival, which is going to give me a big break. I rush to the gig with 3 basses in tow. Well, I plug in and start to tune up and bass one will not tune it just keeps over and under shooting by at least a 1/4 step. No worries I will just grab a backup. The backup will not tune either. I grab a different tuner and it still does not tune, it is like a 1/4 step off. Starting to sweat I grab my fretless, tune it open and start to play and no matter were I place my fingers it is out of tune.

It is 15 minutes before we are supposed to go onstage and I am running around trying to borrow a bass from another band. I was stilling running around when the alarm went off so I guess I missed the gig.

Anyone else have a gigging nightmare?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I dreamed that I was walking onstage in front of tens of thousands of people at a music festival when out of nowhere this real panicky looking dude runs up on stage, grabs my bass out of my hands, and runs off in the direction of a different stage. Oh yeah, and I was in my underwear too.

:bag:

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    a few nights ago I dreamed (dreamt??) that I was mowing my lawn and accidentally ran over my 76 P bass, the head goes flying out of the side of the mower in splinters...I pulled the mower back to reveal a bass that looks like it was explosively relic'd by Mythbusters.. it was agonizing.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I had a rehearsal nightmare last Wednesday night. I am
    convinced I was actually awake, though.

On topic, I can never really remember what I dream about.
    There is a technique called 'Lucid Dreaming' I have heard about,
    but I haven't really explored that yet. I probably should.

I do know that if I watch horror movies or read books that are
    particularly gruesome such as James Ellroy, I do suffer from
    rather unpleasant nightmares as a result.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I had this nightmare...subbing for a country band.
    The singer had no sense of pitch or time, couldn't remember the words...
    Guitars out of tune all night long...
    Lead guitar playing inappropriate blues licks on slide for every solo totally out of tune with the violin...
    Every intro and ending was an absolute train wreck...
    Songs where dummed down to the point that the progressions played had almost no relationship to the actual song...
    All the while, the crowd loving it cheering the band on causing them to lean into it harder and making the whole situation worse as they got confidence and "Went for it"...
    They got so confident that they called a guest singer up from the audience who was kin to a country music legend and her song choice was "These Boots Are Made For Walkin"...
    Volume so loud my left ear felt like it was full of water at the end of the night...

Oh wait, you can't make that stuff up, that was last weekends gig for real.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've had those anxiety dreams where I'm in big, serious trouble, oh man this is so terrible, then you wake up and... PHEW!! I actually enjoy that feeling of sweet relief! :smug:

Some times I get the opposite. Once when I was working a remote fire lookout, I dreamt that the facility was this beautiful Frank Lloyd Wright style bungalow in a river valley in Napa county with a big courtyard with a stone fountain, etc, etc...

Then I woke up. In the prefab shack in the middle of a small clearing in the mosquito-ridden northern tundra. And felt mildly depressed all morning for some reason. :p

And of course I've encountered a few real-life gig scenarios that I wish I could have woken up from. Like having my amp go POW and literally blow smoke out the back. 2 minutes before we're supposed to go out in front of 10 000 people.

7. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Not bass related, but one day i spent maybe 4 hours helping my drummer find a new ride cymbal. It was actually quite tiring on the ears, but he finally found the perfect one and paid around $500 for it. That night, i had a dream where i had a kid and my child was destroying my drummers brand new ride with a framing hammer. Im not sure whats more frightening, that i had a child, or that he was wrecking the cymbal.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The first part sounds like the nightmare to me and the second part sounds like a dream (except the whole having a kid part...) :D

9. Haha, I had a good one about a year ago. I bought an 83' Steinberger L2 off the bay, it was local enough I was going to pick it up the following weekend, anyway In my dream after I paid for my L2 I discovered the battery cavity said "made in China":crying: and that I had shelled out that kind of cash for a knockoff.
    - I couldnt help but double check when I went to pick it up, no worries "Tiffany Place, nyc.." :D

10. I've had versions of this dream a few times: I'm on stage with a band, the concert is about to start, the band leader is counting off the first tune ... and I realize I'm holding the wrong instrument. "Wait! I don't play saxophone! I'm bass player!"

11. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I had one where I was subbing for a gig I didn't remember, playing songs I don't know. So I turn to the guitarist to see what's going on in terms of chords, to discover he's tuned in a totally unknown way. Turn to the keyboard player, and he's on a Kaoss pad :p

12. I dreamed someone bothered to make a wikipedia page for me detailing all areas of my life lol.

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Last Friday night I had a nightmare where I was running sound for my friend's band and the band's crappy, run down PA system started having multiple recurring problems and I spent the entire show frantically patching stuff together to somehow make it through the show while everyone (including the club owner) kept coming up to me and telling me that the sound was terrible.

Oh, wait. That wasn't a dream. It actually happened. :mad:

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Mitch Taylor: The weirdest thing just happened to me.
    Chris Knight: Was it a dream where you were standing in sort of sun-god robes on top of a pyramid, and there were hundreds of naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?
    Mitch Taylor: No...
    Chris Knight: Why, am I the only one who has that dream?

15. I had one where during an unacompanied fill I fell over.

16. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I have definitely had this real life experience. :crying:

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I found that if I sleep on my right side I tend to have bad dreams. If I sleep on my left side I have dreams about sexy Asian chicks. If I sleep on my back I wake with a sexy asian chick on top of me. I generally sleep on my back.

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I'm not settled on the "asian" part, but I'm with you about this. Usually, left side means I can't turn right anymore, whereas right side means I'm gonna breathe hair within an hour. Sometimes I sleep on my front, too. Because then I get some sort of a back weight-massage.

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My wife is a prankster. I've never felt comfortable sleeping prone since I married her.

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Most of my musician's nightmares tend to feature lost digits. :(