Musicians Not Wanted Ad

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by wulf, Nov 8, 2003.

1. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Picked up from a friend of mine on a mailing list:
    Brian must be a fan of The White Stripes :D

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Good one!

I saw one a while back in one of the local music rags, it said: "Bassist wanted. No experience necessary (will train)."

What's the world coming to???
  3. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Perhaps they meant "We don't want a bassist, just somebody to play bass guitar - stagename Billy Rootnotes"

(How was your gig wulf?)
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It sounded pretty good, even in a line up without our keyboard player or a horn section. However, it seems that venue doesn't want any more covers so that's probably the last one we'll do there :rolleyes:

5. Max.Power

Oct 14, 2003
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It worked for King Crimson. Rober Fripp taught Boz Burrel how to play bass, and he showed his appreciation by quitting and forming Bad Company.
  7. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    I recently joined a new band (fulltime) who use a lot of backing tracks,originally they didnt have a bassist and relied on the tracks, so, my first gig thrown in at the deep end there were a number of tunes which I didnt know, I pointed this out and was told not to worry they'll just unmute the bass track for the ones I dont know!!!!!!!

Needless to say I was horrified, I have never mimed to a backing track in my life but I had no choice in this situation so I played 3/4 of the gig live and the rest I mimed...guess what?

NO-BODY EVEN NOTICED:rolleyes:
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Haha...good stuff. A friend of mine saw a musicians wanted ad that said "Bassist wanted for modern rock band, not guitarist who plays bass."
  9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002

I saw a funny "looking for band members" ad the other day.

"Wanted: Mediocre drummer"

It was on a local musicians forum. I read the post and the band kept getting drummers who were too good and didnt want to play with the band, so they were actually being honest about their talents as opposed to the usual "Best drummer since Bonham wanted"!

I actually recommended a friend of mine who started learning a couple of years ago. He did the audition, got the gig and quit after the first rehearsal.. so maybe their ad should have read "wanted: Crap drummer"?! :D
  10. why stop there?
    cut to the nub of the matter with-
    "Meg White wanted":p
  11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Can she really be classed as a drummer?

She's not even really really good looking either!
  12. In the original post, I think the last thing they needed was a bassist meant that had yet to add a bassist but had filled all other positions. Thus, a bass player would be "the last (as in final) thing needed".
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oohhhhhhhhhhhh! I get it!
  14. W32Hybris

Jan 18, 2004
    south Florida
    that's ok

the other day some kid asked me to play the bassline from Seven Nation Army

I smacked him.
  15. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Here was my last ad for finding a band. It worked...

Bass Whore Available
    I'm old, overweight, and bald. I've been playing 30 some years, and I can whip up "N.I.B." as easy as "I Shot The Sheriff". I've done just about everything but jazz or country. And I can do a reasonable "Keith Richards" backup vocal.
    I'm looking for some steady work. I did roadwork in my youth and have the scars to prove it.
    You can find what I did last at All Purpose Grind

Sound samples and contact information are there. :cool: