Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicians Referral Services

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by seanlava, Oct 28, 2005.

1. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    Do any of you working pros out there have personal experience with fee based musician referral services such as http://musicianreferral.com/ ?

The free classifieds don't really cut it when it comes to finding paying gigs, so I want to know if sites such as this are worth the money.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Hi Sean,

I have been a member on and off of Musicians Contact Service which is more LA and Southern California based. Most of the opportunities are in LA, but have been a few in San Diego, and elsewhere. I just renewed my membership again because I am finding some good musicians in local ads, but also people who say they have time for music but, the reality is that they cannot make music a big priority. I have found through MCS that there are pro quality gigs, i.e. already working bands that need someone now, and I think there is more of a chance of finding a pro gig there than the local freebies. I have been involved in a few situations through being with this service, and many who advertise seem to have gigs. I would try to make sure that the service has opportunities in your area.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know a bass player who has gotten some good road work from Dick McVey's referral service. It seems as though that it's mostly pro-level players who read them, so you if you're looking for a serious gig, you'd probaly cut out a lot of the ametuers from your search.