Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicians Wanted Classifieds? Playing Full Time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Hey guys.. I have a couple questions. I did a search and couldnt find anything unless I skimmed over it.

First of all, is there an online database to search for local "Musicians Wanted" ads? Not really "Im joe blow and looking to start a band". More like "Studio needing basses player for recording session that can read" etc...

Also, I've been playing for 16 years. Ive never really considered playing bass as a full time job too seriously until recently. I'm getting sick of my day job, the situation I'm in with it, and the peanuts I get paid to do it. The only enjoyment I get, and the only thing I look forward to, is getting out and playing on the weekends. Since I'm still fairly young (25), I think it might be time for a life style change. I want to make decent money but, more importantly, live happily and enjoy what I do. I know its a vague question, but how do I do this? I'd be willing to travel when needed. I'm not looking at being a rock star or touring (unless I was asked to).

I mainly looking at jingle work, karaoke, commercials, and really any other studio stuff that I can go in, read down charts, and call it a day.. Not saying I would turn down other jobs, but thats what I would enjoy doing. Then going out playing gigs at night. Not to sound cocky, but I feel I have a decent music resume, I can sight read, I have good equiptment, easy to get along with, and Im comfortable on both upright and electric.

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.. Even if its negative like "dont even try, its not worth it"..

2. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Craigslist

You can also Google like...

"bass classifieds cityname"

3. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    craigelist.com is good but understand that studio work doesnt really work like that for the most part.you don't really see want ad's for studio bassist around,in fact i'v never seen one.find out who's doing studio work around your area,technology has changed the game somewhat so more people are recording in home studio's.I did a session yesterday at a guy's house who had one of the best and up to date studios i'v ever been to in someones house(pro-tools HD,neve ect)so find out who's doing that.I have a slightly different perspective because i have never had a day job(and im much older than 25)but if you feel like that's what you want to do(full time music)and have skill's,start saving money, get together a promo/demo if you don't have one already and take the plunge.but put yourself in the best possible position to succeed.understand that full time music is not easy,it has up's and down's that are way different than a steady day gig.you might find yourself HAVING to do gig's or sessions that you don't enjoy to pay the rent so be ready for that.I have a friend who made the part-time to full-time transition about 2 years ago.what he did was say "when i can cover my basic NEED'S with the money i make gigging i'lll quit".but he did thing's like pay off bill's and save money first,so start planing what you want to do and when you want to do it.hope this helps,good luck