Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicians who hate music....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 20, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm coming out of the closet. I'm tired of dancing around the the fact that I never really listen to music. People are always asking me what I think of this band or that - and I go, "uhhh.... I'm not too into them". I never even heard of them!

I grew up listeneing to Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Queen, Yes, The Who, The Stones and the Partridge Family. And I played them all out. Now I listen to The Chili Peppers, Enya and an occasional something else here and there. I study the great bass players, but only to get better at my craft. The radio makes me sick. I hate the radio. I think sometimes maybe it's because I'm resentful at all the ****ty music that's making tons of money.

Anyone share any of these feelings?

2. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    oh man

"im coming out of the closet"

for a second i expected your post to turn into something totally different than what it was. ive only ever heard that phrase used one way.

as for what your post was really about, i too am not a fan of the radio, i like my cd collection much better and spend most of my music listening time listening to those.

3. i never listen to the radio, my freinds are always asking, hey did you hear this or that?

of course the answer is no.

got a ton of Cd's and listen to them.

thats why i never get into fieldy arguments because i have never heard him and a bunch of other bass players asked about on this site.

p.s. i would never use the phrase "coming out of the closet" and "partridge family" in the same post.:D

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I don't listen to the radio and have almost given up on MTV except on rare occasions. Radio has too many ads and seldom plays what I want to hear. I don't know how people tolerate all those ads on the radio.

I play my CDs and record them onto tapes to listen to in my car. That way I have my own special programs of blues or Latin or whatever I am in the mood to hear. Then I don't have some DJ picking the songs for me, so I hear maybe only one an hour I like. No way, Jose. I'll choose my own music, thank you very much.

jason oldsted

5. Radio is the devil I tell ya!

Pop songs are terrible and MTV sucks! They both go hand in hand and they both suck!

I hate having to use the phrase "_____ sucks!" but it must be done in this case. I to am in total agreement with you and just listen to my CD's it's the only way otherwise you end having to filter through 90% crap and 10% music and even the 10% is still suspect.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I listen to talk radio. Maybe the reason that we don't listen to music is that the attraction to music is in its PERFORMANCE. Playing music is where it's at for me. I listen to music to learn it and play it.

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm on the fringe of both sides. I listen to the radio constantly in the car - which is a lot. When I'm at home it's a schizoid mix of classic rock, and my own weird interests (lately, it's new King Crimson, old Fleetwood Mac, very old Blues and Alex Harvey). Maybe the more important question is whether you like music? You don't have to listen to create - I remember reading somewhere that Frank Zappa didn't even own a stereo. Everyone decides what they want from music, and being a sideline fan isn't everyone's cup of tea.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Man. I must be one lucky S.O.B. I musta' stumbled into the SECOND confluence
    of The Spirit of Radio.

Back home (all AOR) ...
    WMMS - The Buzzard
    WWWM - M105
    WSRD - The Wizard

CKLW - 50,000 watt AM Flame-thrower

Down hyar, it's...
    88.5, 88.9, & 89.3 - college and public stations. Jazz, 70's - 80's AOR, and...jazz :D
    KZPS - classic rock
    WRR - classical
    KEGL - A ZRock metal wannabe
    Magic 94.5 - Oldies funk & soul

Check out the "Arts" section in your weekend paper. They usually list
    your local stations and formats. Don't let The Spirit die ! :( .

9. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Joe, I think you're probably just preaching to the choir. The only musicians I've ever met who really dig what get's played on top-40 radio are the ones who directly profit from it financially. Anyway, that's what it seems like to me.

10. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    You don't have to listen to top 40 radio stations. And sometimes it's good to hear stuff you wouldn't necessarily request. That's the point of radio: getting to hear all kinds of stuff you normally wouldn't hear. That is especially true of local stations that play local bands or world music, etc.
    So, basically, don't be so negative about radio. If you want to hear only stuff YOU like, listen to CD's or tapes. But don't complain when you don't hear your favorite tunes.

11. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Personally I think the main problem with radio and Mtv is that there is way too much emphasis on the lead singers or singular pop stars...not music or bands. I can't remember the last time I saw an actual band on Mtv where less than 3/4 of the video was not centered around the lead singer(*cough...creed...cough*). There is way too much emphasis on vocals and not near enough emphasis on music. It seems like the music behind the vocals is just too simple! They teach some loser how to play 3 chords so he can sit in the background of the video and make the lead singer look good. If you go listed to any of these "new" bands live they just plain suck!

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I love music. I just don't listen to commercial radio and can't watch MTV because I don't have cable.

I listen to public and college stations and there I can hear everything: jazz, classical, folk, blues, hip-hop, reggae, death metal (well, I don't listen to much of that :) ). I have fun sometimes tuning in noncommercial stations that have ethnic shows where the DJ isn't even speaking English. You can hear some wicked stuff that way.

I also listen to my music collection: about 5000 LPs, about 1000 CDs and hundreds of tapes.

I've heard Fieldy, Les Claypool and Flea although I don't own any of their recordings. I can't be impressed by Les after hearing Jonas Hellborg, ya know what I mean? Korn's got nothing on Miles Davis's "Pangaea" and that album is 25 years old.

There is too much great music out there and too little time in my entire life to get to it all. I can't be bothered with professional taste makers any more.

Keep your FM radio tuned below 92 at all times and your ears will be expanding all the time.

13. These are the top 10 selling albums this week according to billboard or something:

1. Shaggy: Hotshot
    2. The Beatles: 1
    3. Soundtrack: Save The Last Dance
    4. Jennifer Lopez: J.Lo
    5. Ja Rule: Rule 3:36
    6. Dido: No Angel
    7. Lenny Kravitz: Greatest Hits
    8. Sade: Lovers Rock
    9. Ludacris: Back For The First Time
    10. Crazy Town: The Gift Of Game

:rolleyes:

I have no idea who Shaggy, Ja Rule, Dido, Ludacris, and Crazy Town are. Never heard of them. Have no idea what kind of music they perform.

As for the rest, I thought Jennifer Lopez was an actor. Can she sing? And I assume save the Last Dance is a movie (haven't heard of that either. Is that the Huey Lewis/Gweneth Paltrow karaoke film?).

The Beatles (duh), Sade and Lenny Kravitz I know. Hmm.

Are we getting older, and these 7 out of 10 unknowns for me is just music for the kids? Or do we realize that it's just all hyped up crap being crammed down the throats of the consumers and refuse to listen?

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some of you guys are scarin' me, especially the comments about listening only to your own recorded music.

Seriously, how did you get turned on to that music in the first place???

Even if the reason you can enjoy it is because a friend turned you on to it, or a friend of a friend, someone, at some point, had to be willing to listen to something they knew nothing about. Someone's ear and mind had to be open.

MTV?- that hasn't been about music since I don't know when. I picked it up on cable when it first appeared and it was solid music videos. It looks and sounds more like "Friends" last time I looked. VH1 is somewhat better.

Radio- as some have said, there's some good stuff out there. Check out the online broadcast, (or last Sunday's playlist) at www.beakerstreet.com on Sunday evenings with Clyde Clifford's "Beaker Street" (the original space cadet) if you want to hear some good, quite old stuff; Zebra, Yardbirds, Trapeze, Savoy Brown, Iron Butterfly, Trout Fishing in America, Chambers Bros., Spirit, Mountain, Procol Harum, Amboy Dukes, Wishbone Ash, Dream Theater, Kula Shaker, all the old stuff. It's great!

Maybe it's because the rave gigs I occasionally play give me a lot of exposure to a lot of different music. But from what I find, there's a whole lot of shakin' going on and it ain't at commercial FM, MTV, or on the homepage of CDNOW. There are tiny radio stations in major metro areas and college towns that are great. Look up an artist you like at CDNOW and look at the "people who have bought this have also bought...." and check out ones you haven't heard of. In many cities, there are these weird little video shows, PBS and public access programs on in the wee hours of Fri. and Sat. nights. I tape while I'm at gigs, so I can see them on Sun. They've turned me on to a lot of good music. If it wasn't for "Sessions at W. 54th" on PBS, I might not have known about Ben Harper and his bad man bassist, Juan Nelson, or Diana Krall, or Macy Gray. Get out into the clubs and the small concert venues. Hell, even watch the Shammy's tonight! A lot of people have never heard Macy Gray, moby, Jill Scott, Radiohead, Blue Man Group, et al.

Don't rely on Big Brother. There's a ton of music out there if you put your ears in the right places.

15. i hate radio but i still listen to loads of music, and i do listen to jazz radio, lots of it on weeknights actually, i watch some much music and much more music(thats like canada mtv i think) anyways, just say you hate pop, and country and then everyone will know you odnt like radio! :)

16. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Right now I'm listening to Symphony X.
    When was the last time you heard them on radio?
    Enough said.

17. Shaggy: Hip-hop
    Ja Rule: Rap
    Dido: Pop
    Ludacris: Rap
    Crazy Town: Rap/rock

and BTW, this isnt jennifer lopez's first album, so its not like shes new to the singing world. although it sounds like she is, cause her music sucks

18. I agree with Munjibunga about the talk radio. I listen to about half music and half talk radio. You gotta take a break from music or you will start to hate it. I have been playing in bands almost every weekend for the last 32 years. I've done hard rock, MoTown, Disco, Jazz, blues, Old rock etc... and what has been the most profitable and most fun has been playing COUNTRY Music. Thats right! I'm not ashamed to say country in front of any one!
    Played right it's not as simple as a lot of "musicians" think. You actually have to put air between the notes. I find music is lot more fun when I'm on stage playing in front of a crowd and country, country rock, rock and roll ect.. all mixed together is what keeps me up there having fun. What I'm saying is no matter what kind of music you like, say you like it and don't be ashamed to say it. Also don't throw off on someones choice of music just because you don't care for it. There is enough room in the music business for everyone!!

19. I don't listen to much radio, when I do, it's usually college radio, which plays a lot of non-mainstream stuff. Most of the stuff that I listen to isn't on the radio, so I just listen to my own stuff. Sometimes, I do turn on the radio to see if anything good came out, but usually nothing good hits mainstream anymore..... (sigh)

20. as much as i hate mtv, i love mtv2. constant music (except for the commercials) and more variety than any radio station i've heard. once i saw Xzibit's new song and bob dylan's "subterranean homesick blues" in the same block. so when something comes on that i don't like, i open my mind and give it a try, knowing that something different is coming up.