Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bluntman_bass, Aug 10, 2004.

1. bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    ive heard some people say that sucks and to never buy any thing from there but ive also heard people say that it is great. i got my bass from there and i didnt think it was to bad considering what i paid for it. so if u know the website im talkin about please tell me y some people hate it so much. im wondering cuz im thinkin about getting a new bass and i want to know if i should use that site again, i thought it was pretty good but tell me if u have had any bad experiences with the site. thnx.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I mostly use it for price reference and product availability, but everything I've bought from there has arrived promptly and in great condition
  3. i have ordered stuff off it, and i get it just fine. is pretty good with shipping too. i know people that don't like it, but they just don't like how everybody knows about it, and they are too "underground" to stay into anything big like that. kind of like Green Day on VH1's behind the music.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    MF is more expensive than other places, but you get the amazing 45 day return period.
    And they have messed up the occassional shipment to me, although nothing has ever arrived broken. But the customer service has always taken care of problems swiftly.
  5. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I really prefer You get your own sales associate who gets to know you and you're not always dealing with a random person. It's really the best system for a large online retailer. They also will beat any price and are very good about free shipping and discounts. Also when I need to have something ordered, they'll do it without hassle, where MF has told me they don't do custom orders.
  6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I've never had any problems. I bought an SWR 550x last year and after a week or so of playing around with it, I decided it wasn't what I wanted. I returned it to MF for full credit. The only thing that cost me was the return shipping.
  7. rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    I have also had good experiences w/MF. I bought my last bass from them. It arrived in under 1 week in perfect condition. Their prices are comparable in my experience and they have free shipping on orders over $299.
  8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have ordered a bunch of stuff from then and everything arrived as scheduled and intact. The prices seem to be at the low end of the range as far as the .com music stores go.
    I am happy with them.
  9. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I give them a solid B+. They've screwed up a thing or two (once they sent me a rosewood board Lakland when I ordered maple) but are generally good about fixing problems. Make sure you take the time to check "Availablility" so you're not dealing with back orders. If there is an availability date, don't take it as gospel, as that often changes.

I dig that they offer an additional 5% discount for ASCAP members. :cool:
  10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've never had a problem with MF - they've always been courteous and helpful on the phone, always pricematched (both with the order and after-the-fact when a lower price was found) from the simplest order of picks to my QSC PLX 1602 which was such a large difference that they point-blank told me "We're loosing money on this deal"... and still kept their word. The 5% ASCAP discount as mentioned is always a bonus as well, as is the "scratch 'n dent" section where I saved over $20 (plus the usual 5%) on my SKB Roll-X rack which was virtually new.

Not (exactly) true. They might not be able to order from a product line they don't carry at all, but I had no trouble special ordering my SWR Mini Mo' preamp which they had stopped carrying a month or two prior to my ordering. They also kept me up-to-date by personal phone calls on the ordering process, including a delay not on their end. Fender was reorganizing their ordering system at the time, which added a week to the timeframe... and it still came in a week ahead of schedule.

I think the major problem is that while mistakes will get posted/review/spread around, good customer service isn't nearly as often spoken of. Well, consider this a hearty "thumbs-up".
  11. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I've ordered a couple hundred times over the last few years - mostly small stuff though. Never had a problem. They handle returns very well, even paid for return shipping on some of them. :bassist:
  12. I would never buy an instrument sight unseen from MF, but I have bought a lot of accessories from them. I've never had a problem with them - shipping was prompt and the items I received were the ones I ordered.
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's really a "factory/warehouse" mentality there. That's not necessarily good nor necessarily bad, IMO.

Just don't expect one of the upsides you get with a mom & pop music store where the person who sold your gear to you really wants you to be happy with it and will treat you as an individual instead of a customer number.

MF buys in quantity, deals in sales volume, and doesn't check to see that every item they send out is as perfect as can be expected.

Nonetheless, I have bought a few items from them that shouldn't have performance/cosmetic issues - (e.g. cases, gig bags, pedals, etc).

At the moment, they have some great basses they are clearing out - MTD's, Roscoes, Modulus........but I would feel much better buying them from a specialized bass store like Bass Central or Northwest Bass.
  14. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've bought a lot of stuff from them and I've never had a problem. As far as pricing goes, they're sometimes higher, sometimes lower than other online retailers, just depending on the product. Pretty much a wash in my experience.
  15. Doesn't Musicians Friend have some kind of partnership or something like that with Guitar Center?
  16. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    They are one in the same.
  17. ^, yes

I live in Hawaii, so i'm exempted from the godly free shipping option, for a bass I'd have to pay $72, though for $27 I get 1 day shipping from

Whoa..the numbers flipped..freaky :D