1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MusiciansFriend to take over the world!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Apr 13, 2006.

1. I just noticed that MF now carries Accugroove cabs!! They carry epifani and aguilar as well.

I'm curious to see if/when they start to carry Bergantino and Euphonic Audio.:eek:

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    they are making the local music store obsolete for bass gear. I have quite a few local shops, and none of them have any gear that interest me.

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    It sucks that Musician's Friend has such a wide selection of gear, but Guitar Center has very little beyond Ampeg, GK, and SWR... I understand that MF can do it because of the economy of scale thing and they don't have to house all their inventory. Still, I'd like to get a chance to try things beyond boss pedals and Ampeg combos... I'm not against the big chain store thing, I just wish it would actually deliver the goods... until it does, I'm sticking with the local guys.

4. I'd rather pay $50 more and support an independant business. The one on one customer care and knowledge is worth the few extra dollars in my opinion.

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY

true but sometimes it is tough to have those chains like guitar center having your dream bass or equipment waving right in front of your face while the local stores need to 1.) become a dealer for that stuff and then 2.) order one just for you at a higher price because they dont buy 50+ basses of one company at a time..

It sucks. What a predicament. G.C. & MF is like the Wal-MArt of music. Monopoly.

6. I agree to a point. In my area we don't have any "bass botiques". Just local yokal fender/peavey/ibanez dealers. They don't know up from down unless it has to do with a ibanez starter pack.

So I end up doing my own legwork on finding info all over the place. (like talkbass, which has been #1 for this)

Then I shop the competition around the country. And if MF has it for less, the sale is theirs.

7. It does kinda blow, but they did something right to get where they are today, and I won't rag on anyone for being successfull.

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I also agree, to a point. However, one could spend days reading all of the threads on this forum about inept sales people and unknowledgeable salespeople at all music stores, including mom and pop.

Here's an example- I was looking at a cabinet at a locally owned music store and was dealing with the owner. I couldn't get to the back of the cab, so I asked him if it was 8 ohms or 4. He acutally asked me "what's an ohm?" which he then justified by saying "I'm a guitarist, I don't know much about this bass stuff."

I have one local music store that I really like. Their sales people are adults and fairly well educated on the merchandice. Their stock is decent and they carry some good brands like Genz, Eden, Aggies and Yorkville. Their prices match GC and MF. That being said, you could fit all of their bass gear in a 12'x14' room during certain times of the year.

I don't hold anything against MF for being successful.

9. I absolutely agree. The chains don't have a monopoly on incompetence. I guess I'm lucky that we have Club Bass up here. Even if Dave's prices were slightly higher (they aren't :D ) I'd shop at his boutique because of the knowledge and attention he gives to his customers.

10. That's classic!

11. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I guess I'm lucky as far as local shops are concerned. There's a mom and pop music store near my house that carries Ampeg and Eden (as well as a whole lot of cheaper stuff) and I've never seen anything there that costs more than about 90% of MF/GC pricing. And the owner knows so much about music equipment it's scary.

12. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Locally we have a small music store that has Epifani and Eden for amps and speakers. Every once in awhile some killer Conklin basses show up. It is tough for small stores to get too involved in bass stuff since most of the buying public is after guitars.

All I can say is that I'm thankful for having BassNW close by to fill the voids.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have to echo everyone else's reasons for shopping online. I have nothing against smaller stores and I try to support local business whenever possible, but majority of the local music stores do not carry equipment that I'm interested in. I have nothing against Peavey or Fender gear, but that's not what I'm interested in. When it comes to amps, I like SWR, Eden, Aguilar, G-K, etc. I might be lucky if a local store has some G-K stuff.

Also, I've been into some music stores where the sales person is more pushy than a used car salesman. That turns me off very quickly. I'd rather sit and contemplate whether I want to buy something.

14. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I used to work at GC 8 years ago and back then you could find a lot a high end gear but they slowly started catering to the beginner and intermediate player because the big manufactures give Hugh price brakes to GC if they order tons of low and mid priced gear. They have done reports that show that the biggest customer is the 12-25 year olds that don't have the money to buy $1000 and up gear. Back when GC was popping up in the larger cities they ran most of the independent mom and pop stores out of business because they were selling higher end gear at lower prices but once they got most of the mom and pop stores to close they stopped carrying a lot of higher end gear so your Pro musician had no choice but shop at GC and special order a piece or buy it online. Now that GC owns MF, they can carry the higher end gear so the pro musician can get it at MF but still giving GC all the profit

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The thing about MF is that they won't haggle with you the way a smaller store or even GC is willing to. I got my Epifani combo brand new for $400 less than the MF price through a smaller dealer.

Now when the day comes that MF starts accepting "Best Offers" on their products, THEN they'll take over the world.

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    True, but I bet one from MF hadn't been sitting on a showroom floor being abused by every 15 year old in town for an indetermined amount of time. ;)

17. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I'm lucky in that Bass Northwest is a 5 minute walking detour off my normal route to work. They're amazing, and I do nearly all my shopping there, and will continue to do so. They usually have better prices than I can find anywhere, even though I have to pay tax.

In your situation, though, I'd do exactly what you do.

Liam

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    MF's prices on "botique gear" are outrageous. I don't think I've seen ANY piece of botique gear that isn't available for MUCH less
    from "all bass" dealers most of us here on TB use so frequently.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Neither was mine- it was shipped to me directly from Nick Epifani's shop.

20. I think some of it too is due to the fact Guitar Center sales are limited to a small area of people compared to Musiciansfriend covering all of the USA and some abroad. They can afford to carry some stuff that Guitar Center is not willing to for fear of slow sales.