Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicians's friend sent me a broken amp with a letter explaining that it was broken.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skips, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Just sent me a broken Drive amp.
    But at least there were nice enough to include a letter (not addressed to or intended for me) explaining that the amp did not work, and explaining the problems, as well as the address and phone number of the previous owner who had returned it, and the name of the customer service rep (Billy) who autherized the return.

Needless to say, I'm not very impressed, and I don't think I'll be ordering from them anymore.

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I take you didn't mean to order a broken amp then?

3. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    No, I did not.

4. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    It's not doing it anymore...now it sounds fine.

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    that's what they called blem items.

the ad is the same as the new one exept two things:

Price
    a mention: BLEM ITEM

6. Joseph12

Joseph12

Jul 5, 2002
    that's what they called blem items>>

A blem shouldn't be damaged, just 'blemished', a less than perfect box or something minor, but the item still function fine.
    At least that's the way i think of blems.

I bought a Mackie mixer from musicians friend once as a blem, the thing had bent faders that didn't operate, that mixer was sold as a blem, but not acceptable, I sent it back; if it doesn't operate it is damaged needing repair, not a blem. IMHO.

Joe B

7. I agree. Blemished should refer to the appearance of the amp. If I told someone that my bass had some blemishes and then sent them a bass with a fried preamp or a cracked headstock, I don't think they'd consider that a blemish.

This is what the Musician's Friend site says:

"Scratch and Dent Items ("Blems")

This is a Scratch and Dent item. What does that mean? These items are primarily products that have been previously returned by other customers. They are products that may have some cosmetic flaws such as scratches or nicks, or may be slightly experienced. Either way, they are guaranteed to function perfectly. If you can live with a minor blemish and a "not-so-pretty" box, you'll save some serious bucks! Because of the random nature of flaws on specific items, we are unable to list specific details. All Scratch and Dent products include our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee so you can take a full 45 days to check out the gear before deciding to keep it."

Your amp is obviously not functioning perfectly.

I'd send it back.

Geoff

8. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    I really don't think they sent you a blem, especially since you didn't order one. I think the amp was returned from a customer and put back into stock, instead of being shipped back to the manufacturer. I'd assume a careless mistake and let them send you a new amp.

9. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, it was likely just a mistake and I would definitely get a new one. If musiciansfriend is anything like the places I've worked then when someone returns something it's entirely up to the person working that day to put it in the repair area, or whatever, but too often they just put it back on the shelf with a 'note' on it so they don't have to write up the repair ticket :rolleyes: .

10. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    No, I did order a blem...but it arrived in perfect cosmetic condition. I was expecting some scratches or dents or tears or something.

But as I said, I tried it again and now it's stopped doing it...

11. Electrical devices aren't self-healing. If it malfunctioned once, it'll malfunction again. Return it immediately while you've got a warranty.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Too bad they're not eh? Wait, isn't that hottie Terminator self healing??? Oh wow!

13. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    And you're right, of course...it's back to some strong, gritty distortion. It's actually a really good bass distortion tone--wish I could get this in a pedal---but I don't want it in my amp!

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I'm sure they did a quick "it looks fine to me" inspection and just boxed it up as "blem"....and off to somebody else. I've returned stuff to MF plenty of times and had no issues being credited properly or getting a proper replacement. They'll make it right...but definately send it back quick. :cool:

15. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

Or maybe they tested it and it worked fine, for that short period of testing, just like it is for Skips.

If it's working properly or not you definitely need to send it back. Call and talk to someone, I'm sure they'll make it right for you.

16. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    This could be.
    Although you'd think they'd take the letter out...it was on top of the am, so they must have put that in after the amp...unless they never opened it...

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Just another reason MF sucks

18. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    for that reason alone, I would be concerned.