SOLD MUSICMAN 1979 Pre-Ernie Ball Sabre Employee Custom Slab Body!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by jtlee, May 8, 2020.

1. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Price:
    So this is a one-off, unique Musicman body made by a former MM employee that I met while I lived in Fullerton, CA; I purchased it over 12 years ago along with another slab body Sabre; that one was restored and sold: SOLD - MUSICMAN 1979 Pre-Ernie Ball Sabre - Natural Ash, Restored, Rare Slab Body

The bass is made of solid oak and is a slab body (no contours) which they never did for the Sabre bass (only on the early Stingrays). All the pin router marks, threaded insert placement, cavities, bridge holes, etc are era correct. If you look through my post history, you'll see that I used to restore pre-EB Musicmans as a hobby, so I can verify that this is a legit MM pre-EB body. It is heavy (6 lbs, 15 oz with the pickguard installed).

Sabrebody (1).JPG Sabrebody (2).JPG Sabrebody (3).JPG Sabrebody (4).JPG Sabrebody (5).JPG Sabrebody (6).JPG Sabrebody (7).JPG Sabrebody (8).JPG

The body had no finish on it and since the grain wasn't anything stellar, I had Pat Wilkins finish it in black; the finish looks like a mirror (Pat's the best!). There is one small scuff on the top of the horn from me fumbling it a long time ago (DOH!):eek:

Ordered a custom pearloid pickguard for it and installed it with new black pickguard screws and it's been sitting in a case for a decade. I never got around to refurbing it and now have too many damn projects sitting around. :(

I don't have a bridge for it, but a G&L bridge fits perfectly, other than having the mute holes showing. I have some G&L parts that I'll be putting up on a separate listing (with 3-bolt neck plates that fit as well).

SELLING FOR $550 + shipping in the US. International shipping is no problem, just PM me for a quote.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Marc DLarosa likes this.
  2. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Oh .....
    My........

Just add pinch of graphite...

jtlee likes this.
  3. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    That was the plan! Add a Status graphite neck and some G&L MFD's or custom Nordies and this would be good to go. But I've already got an MM5 with Status neck and a Status Stealth 5, so it wouldn't end up getting played.

4. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Mannn.... your temping me now...
    If it were mine, I’d throw in some blade nordy

5. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I’m pming now

6. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    GLWS,I would have been tempted,I just got a new Status graphite neck,for a US Music Man SUB,just this past Monday.

Attached Files:

jtlee likes this.
  7. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Nice...that looks killer and bet it sounds great. Congrats!

Chrome Dome likes this.
  8. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Tempting...as I have an original 1979 preamp

jtlee likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021