1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman 212-RH 150 cab - suitable for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by minervadreaming, Aug 21, 2012.

1. minervadreaming

minervadreaming

Aug 20, 2012
    Hey all,

I'm a long time guitar player but new to bass.

I recently picked up a nice Jazz Bass V w/ an Audere Z6 preamp - sounds great but now I need something to plug it in to.

Part of my guitar rig is a Musicman 212-RH150 like this one:

http://home.grandecom.net/~garybrookshire/musicman-212rh.html

I also saw one ion this TB thread for sale:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/fs-ft-vintage-musicman-212-rh-cab-your-hd130-hd-150-clean-864041/

Due to that thread, and some things I've heard about it being a dual purpose cab, I'm assuming that it's suitable for bass but I thought I'd ask you fine folks before I started looking at separate amp heads...otherwise I might look into a combo of some kind.

Thanks!! :bassist:

2. Depends on what tone you are after. It might stand up to mid rangey low powered bass, but its not going to last with a beefier sound. I would be looking at a true bass cab.

3. minervadreaming

minervadreaming

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks, CL.

4. banikek

banikek

Sep 14, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I am pretty sure that they are a bass cab. I used to own one. Many years ago I talked to an old sales rep and he said that the RH stood for Reflex Horn. Not sure about that but I used the cab with a musicman head. Sounded good at moderate volume. Check to make sure it is loaded with bass speakers.

5. I used one of these back in the late 70s and early 80s with a Music Man head. The local dealer was selling them as bass cabinets. Sounded great as a bass amp cab; wish I still had that rig, in fact.

The stock speakers may not be able to withstand a big bass head, but those could always be replaced with newer, higher-wattage speakers and the cabinet would still rock just fine IMO.