Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan 5 switch options...what do they do?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scott_barrett, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Hey all!

I did the search and couldn't find a decent answer, so I'm posting this....

Just got my MusicMan Stingray 5 yesterday. I understand the switch goes from series/single/parallel. Can someone give me a quick rundown of their ideas of the sounds produced, and maybe some examples of some music using them? My understanding is that the series is more more a fingerstyle sound with more bottom and less highs, the parallel is for the classic Stingray sound with a scooped mid, and I have no idea what the single sound would be like.

Overall, when testing the bass, I use the series for a smoother tone for slow songs, and the parallel for some grittier stuff and slap.

Thoughts?

Scott

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    [​IMG]

My guess is the single is supposed to be more P-bass like, the Parallel is the standard Stingray sound, and the series is Stingray with a bit of added low and mid.

3. I use the parallel all the time because I like the Stingray sound ;) But a lot of people like the series better. I think single coil and series is closer than series and parallel. Single coil is pretty p-bass like (based on what I've heard on recordings of p-basses), and series sound like single coil beefed up. If your amp allows your bass to shine through (i.e. an uncolored amp) the switch really makes a difference.