MusicMan 5 switch options...what do they do?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scott_barrett, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Hey all!

I did the search and couldn't find a decent answer, so I'm posting this....

Just got my MusicMan Stingray 5 yesterday. I understand the switch goes from series/single/parallel. Can someone give me a quick rundown of their ideas of the sounds produced, and maybe some examples of some music using them? My understanding is that the series is more more a fingerstyle sound with more bottom and less highs, the parallel is for the classic Stingray sound with a scooped mid, and I have no idea what the single sound would be like.

Overall, when testing the bass, I use the series for a smoother tone for slow songs, and the parallel for some grittier stuff and slap.

2. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

My guess is the single is supposed to be more P-bass like, the Parallel is the standard Stingray sound, and the series is Stingray with a bit of added low and mid.
  3. I use the parallel all the time because I like the Stingray sound ;) But a lot of people like the series better. I think single coil and series is closer than series and parallel. Single coil is pretty p-bass like (based on what I've heard on recordings of p-basses), and series sound like single coil beefed up. If your amp allows your bass to shine through (i.e. an uncolored amp) the switch really makes a difference.