Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan 5 - wide or narrow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Leave it alone- it's a freakin' classic design moron

54 vote(s)
    38.0%
  2. Make it wider- need some room to get around, plus another option

63 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Make it narrower- I like it tight!!

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. As long as they include Cheesy Poofs, a midget and a goat, I don't care!

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    MM (not Major Metal!!) basses will live as one of the best ever produced. But the question of spacing comes to mind on their 5 strings basses.
    If you had a choice would you leave it alone, make it wider (ex. Fender 5, Sadowsky 5 type spacing) or make it narrower (ex. old Steinberger 5- 5 strings on a 4 string neck).

Me, I would vote wider. And I would own at least one if it was!!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I voted to keep it the same even though I won't mind seeing a wide spaced version. The SR5 is a classic and I find it easy to play. That said, I would be willing to try a wide spaced verion.

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    It's perfect the way it is!
    All my basses have different spacings, and I can play them all! :eyebrow:

4. It might be cool if they offered wider spacing as an option. There are lots of people who dig SR5s but have trouble adjusting to the spacing. A wider option would be cool for them. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing about the SR5. ;)

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The narrow string spacing is the primary reason that I do not own a Bongo or a Stingray 5. If they had 19mm bridge spacing, I would probably go and get a Bongo pretty quickly, and a Stingray 5 within a few months.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1 minus the Bongo

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I voted wide... but the cheesy poofs could almost make me not care :bassist:

8. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    Wider... 19mm is perfect for me and my "floating" thumb! :)

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1

The only reason I don't own an SR5 is the narrow string spacing. I actually wrote to Ernie Ball begging them to come out with a wide fiver. But I don't believe they have the financial motivation to build one, so I won't hold my breath.

10. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Midgets and Goats? I'm all set thanks :meh: Give me the wider spacing. I just got a 19mm Pedulla Thunderbass and what a difference the extra 1.5mm makes. I say hooray for extra options!

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Ta AH WAN A CHEESY POOF!

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I would love to get a MM....I mean c'mon, they support the lefty market really well, BUT the spacing is a tad tight for me.

:)

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The ultimate slap bass should have the ultimate slap string spacing. 19mm all the way.

14. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    19mm all the way. The main reason I sold mine was string spacing.

15. bassedsouth

bassedsouth

Dec 2, 2004
    bassedsouth
    That's exactly why I never quite bonded with my 'late' MM5 ! The spacing never quite cut it , especially for slapping / I'd love to try one with 19mm ............ :)

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Leave it as is. Mine is perfect! Stingray's have always been one of those basses you either love or hate. As soon as you start to try to make it appeal to the masses, you start to water it down IMO.

17. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Mine's comfy, but the only thing that could make it perfect (besides an extra HB at the neck) is wider spacing. Please Ernie Ball... listen to our cries!!!!

18. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Yours is perfect for you. Many people love the Stringrays for their slap tone, yet find it difficult to dig in with the narrower spacing. How would offering this as an option be watering it down?

19. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If they'd offer a wider spacing as an option I'd purchase one. As they don't offer it, I won't buy one. Just can't stomach narrow spacings.

20. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The 5-string should be wider. 19mm between each string.