Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

musicman 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emcekay, Mar 6, 2006.

1. emcekay

emcekay

Mar 6, 2006
    I just bought a new musicman 5. I am having a hard time dialing in a tone that I like. I have been playing 4 string passive basses (fender p, j) and have a pre ernie musicman 4. All of these have a tone that works for me. The 5 just seems very modern / active sounding and is getting frustrating. Does any one know of any presets, documents that could guide me in the right direction?

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    google the manual pdf, but why did you buy it if you weren't sure if you could get the tone you wanted?

3. 4001bass

4001bass

Feb 25, 2004
    I don't know of any presets, this are the settings I use on mine.
    Top and middle I keep centred and I tweek the bass up a 8th of a turn. That works for me.

That set up though my Evo 500 is phenomenal

4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    the amp/cab will make all the diff with musicman. ampeg or ashdown will warm it up...

also play closer to the neck.
    if you can't do the floating thumb technique on adam nitti's website, then install a ramp or thumbrest to gain access to the neck area and your tone WILL fatten up.

a music man is a more aggresive axe, but thats why i like em for that aggresive sound. If you want a more pbass tone with a great b string, try any yamaha BB 5 string. they are amazing for the price!!

5. emcekay

emcekay

Mar 6, 2006
    Google does not find a pdf.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not technique related. Off to basses with you!

7. One factor that's frequently overlooked in trying to get a less (or more!) aggressive/modern sound is the strings. What's your SR5 string with? Have you tried putting the same strings on it as you have on your pre-EB Stingray?

Mike

8. emcekay

emcekay

Mar 6, 2006
    Thanks, I am new.

9. emcekay

emcekay

Mar 6, 2006
    Would anyone know how I can get an online / pdf of a musicman 5 owners manual?

10. I don't believe an "owners manual" exists. However, PDF and GIF versions of the control diagrams for all different MM instruments, including the SR5, are at http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/techinfo/

The SR5 one looks like this:

[​IMG]

That doesn't really tell you anything except what the controls are, though, and you've probably already figured that out for yourself.

Mike

11. emcekay

emcekay

Mar 6, 2006
    Still, this is helpful. Thanks again.

12. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    That's kinda interesting.......it looks like you can't get coil 2, the one that's closer to the neck, by itself with the stock wiring. I wonder if the SR5 could be modded in some way to get coil 2 by itself - it ought to get a bassier tone. Perhaps a toggle switch could be added to select between the coils when the 3 way switch is set to single coil mode, or a 5 way switch could be used.........

I don't play a SR5, but that might be worth checking out. Then again, maybe the folks at Ernie Ball already did try it and it sounds like crap, and that's why they don't make it available.

13. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    this post wasn't helpful? I really would recommend the technque found here... http://www.adamnitti.com/bass_player_02.shtml
    this will allow you to play much closer to the neck allowing for a much more round and mellow sound.
    This maybe should've stayed in technique after all. ;)

the electronics are going to be less important than amp and technique IMHO. I have heard guys get very round tones out of stingrays (pino palladino) and very bright tones out of pbasses (andy rourke) for intstance.

14. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee

Also very true! A lot of players on here like TI flats on a stingray for more fundamental and bottom. Flats should smooth it out, however I hate how flats seem to go out of tune easier and they always seem less dynamic to me.

It really depends on the tone you want. BTW if you are going to sell the bass let me know!!! ;)

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Parallel mode, slight cut on the highs and mids, bass flat. Or switch to mellower strings (or give the strings a little time to die).

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thank goodness for nickel roundwounds! :D I also keep trying to get into flats, but the dynamics are just so different that its tough. TI superalloys are also pretty mellow sounding.

17. Well, he did say that he already has an older Stingray 4 that he likes the sound of--it's just the SR5 that sounds too bright and modern. So it's not a question of just finding the right place to rest his thumb on a Stingray!

Mike

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The sr5 has sterling electronics. so it is different than your conventional stingray tone. Parallel might get you closest to what you are used to, although i prefer series.

19. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I recently did this experiment with my SR5:

After a good set up and a fresh set of strings, I recorded direct to pro tools trying every possible combination of tones. I made a chart that went something like this:

treble full, mids full, bass full, pu select forward.

then I would do the same but back the treble to half.

then I would do the same but back the treble to zero.

etc. with all the other possiblitlites. There were several dozen combinations, and eventually after doing ALOT of listening back, I picked 4 or so settings that worked best for my tastes.

try these:

For a good slap tone: treble full, mids at 0, bass full, pu in the middle.

For a Jamerson like tone, treble at 0, mids at 0, bass at 1/2, pu in the back position.

For a mid punch but with warmth kinda sound: treble 1/2, mids 1/2, bass full, pu in the middle.

Now, these settings won't get you a Fender Jazz sound, or a Wal sound, or an Alembic sound, or a P bass sound, but you can do good "versions" or those. Of course, it also depends on your set up, strings, touch, etc.

All in all, not bad for $1300.

20. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Then again, I'm also getting a little bored with this bass and am looking for something else. I would'nt get rid of it; just want to add to the tone possibilites.

I've had mine for 10 years.