MusicMan 5strings... Maple or Rosewood?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Piedro, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    After much months of shoppings.. i've made my choice on a ErnieBall Music Man Stingray 5strings... but i don't know what difference have the neck, in maple or rosewood on the sound, the "attack" of the notes, or the confortability on playing...

Can your experiences helps me ?!?

(scuze me if my english sucks a little bit, i'm french-Canadian..)

thanks a lot...
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I think the Maple tends to have more "attack" then the Rosewood.

That's just my opinion though.
  3. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I like rosewood more. To me, it (usually) sounds a bit bigger with more old-school power, when maple tends to be a bit sizzly and thin for me. Rosewood also has less highs which is good because even if the fingerboard would be made of like toilet paper, the stingray preamp can still add highs you wouldn't believe. And rosewood also has a bit longer sustain and it looks better too.

Then again, if you've tried both, you know which you liked better. Take a blind test.
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Dude, this is entirely up to your ears but maple has more snap and glassy like highs, Rosewoood has a darker, grittier sound that is a little less dynamic. Which tone you want to hear the most is up to you. You'll only know when you try them out.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah man. Maple has a clear bright punchier sound where as Rosewood has a darker smoother sound.. I Have maple on my stingray... but whatever you choose is gonna be cool. either way you have a great bass under your fingers

6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I am a pau ferro fretless kind of guy myself, but I think Tuomas had the best suggestion. If indeed you have access to both basses, have your friendly dealer hand you each one on and off, you close your eyes, and do a blind test. Your ears and your fingers will choose which is the winner. Let us know which one you choose.
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I answered on the Jeff Berlin thread so heres my view ( a bit late though)

I have a rosewood Stangray 5 because as much as I like the look of maple I hate playing it.

Its your money so like the others I would try before I buy.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Maple's noticeably brighter and has a faster attack. It also tends to accumulate dirt and marks noticeably. Since the Stingray's already pretty bright-sounding, I'd hesitate to go with the maple. (Aesthetically, though, I think maple's the only fretboard wood that looks good with a blue finish.)
  9. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Thanks guys (or girls) for the reply, i gonna try the blind test but i thinks i'm gonna go with the rosewood...

i'm aggre with you that the look of a maple neck is so great... but i prefer the sound than the look :0)

thanks again
  10. Even though I may be too late I think the rosewood would be the best bet. All of my basses and guitars have rosewood frettboards. And with the stringray I think you will get more tonal variety with the rosewood. But maple does look good:D especially with pearle blue.
  11. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I prefer rosewood, both for looks and sound, but I like a deep, dark tone. If I was a slapper, I would probably go with the maple, but I play fingerstyle 95% of the time, and the rosewood is warm and yummy.