Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman '83...pre-EB!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Mar 21, 2005.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I am interested in getting a pre-Eb 1983 Musicman in white w/ black guard and maple neck. Lowend.net is selling one for $1400. I have a 1996 Stingray 5 w/ ash body and rosewood fingerboard...is it going to sound much different? I know the preamps were different but is the tone going to be different? I don't mind going down to the 4 string...what I like the most is the look! It is awesome and I've heard that the Pre-EB Musicmans are the best sounding stingrays. Let me know if you guys think my tone will be different or not. I don't want to drive to Tennessee and hear no true tone difference. Thanks!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you are going from a 5 to a 4 string the sound will be different because the electronics are different.

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland

It'll sound different, particularly thanks to the alnico pickup. Whether it'll sound better is subjective. The pre-EB thing is a myth pedalled by ebay sellers. There's no significant difference between a new two-band SR4 and a pre-EB SR4 tone-wise.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The maple fingerboard is going to make more diff in the tone than the electronics, IMO.
    That's a bit of coin, not that it's way off the mark, but the playability and action should be top shelf at that price. I would really check out the neck!!

5. You can get a Stingray in 4 or 5 string and it has a pickup so you can use it with your amp.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    :confused:

7. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    :meh:My head just exploded...

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    If only more basses had pickups so I could use 'em with amps...

;)

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    According to his profile the meat eating funkster has owned over 160 bass guitars and is inspired by some pretty solid cats. I am going to have to Ass-ume that he is being "funny".

10. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    hey, my bass has TWO pickups, does that mean I can use it with ... two amps???

:D :D :D :D :D :D

11. I award you no marks, and may god have mercy on your soul.

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I love you, funky c, whoever you may be.

But in order to keep the thread from being closed, I will give a real answer, inasmuch as I am a real person and all.

Yes, it will sound different. Of course. To know whether or not it is worth the asking price (and I wouldn't pay that), you must play it and then look at 1400 dollar bills and decide which would make you happier.

13. $1400 is a lot for a stingray. I can't imagine it's worth it just because it's pre-EB. However you may feel differently.

14. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    It will be a very different bass tone-wise. The five is a good sounding bass but the older 4 has different electronics and in my opinion, more of the classic MM sound.

15. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Also-Price feels a little high. If you are into getting a real pre EB Stingray, you could continue looking and pay a little bit more, if that's what you want. The only (yet most important) thing here that's pre-EB are the electronics. The four bolt neck, strings through bridge are very much EB-era. Nothing wrong here-just pointing it out.

16. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    be extremely careful when buying a late, pre EB MM.

Many, and I mean many were shipped with inoperable truss rods. Leo Fender and Tom Walker had gotten into a nasty fight towards the end which lead to the demise of Music Man and CLF research. CLF was Leo's company that was making the basses for Music Man.

During the end, to get back at Tom Walker, Leo was shipping the poorest basses he ever built.

The very early EB basses were actually some of the best made. I still look for them in all my travels and buy them up.

17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Not sure what you're saying about the neck and bridge being EB-era.

The 4 bolt neckplate was introduced in 1980 and replaced with the 6 bolt neckplate in 1988. Top loading bridges were introduced in 1980, although there are later through-body bridges.

EB took over Musicman in 1984/1985.

18. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    So what is the actual date that things went from being considered pre-Ernie Ball to EB?

19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    1985, I suppose.

The pre-EBs that people go on about are the ones with a B00... serial number, which is 1976-78. Just because they've got an early serial number (everyone knows the early ones are the best, and if it starts B00, it's one of the first 10,000... so it's got to be good, right????)

20. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Our guy funky definitely knows a thing or two about basses :D

You're a little too hip for this forum, Jerome :cool: