1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman addictions.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jscriv, May 12, 2018.

1. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Am I the only person who can't seem to have enough EB basses?? I've got a stingray and a sterling. But am finding the excuse of getting the classic models are good enough to grab another of each. IMG_20180512_100905785_BURST000_COVER_TOP.

nateh415, Dasgre0g, armybass and 17 others like this.
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nice pair.
    Now you need to add a Caprice and a Cutlass and a Big Al 5

Badwater, audreycashin and Mili like this.
  3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    I’ve bought approximately 20 Music Man basses and guitars since 2010. They are good instruments. With their new price range, I will no longer be a customer though.

4. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I know the Sterlings went up to 2399!!!!!!

Bassist Jay likes this.
  5. No you're not - and nice basses you have there.

I've got 10 of them currently but unlike Jay have two of the new 2018 Stingrays on order - a 4HH and a 5HH in Aqua sparkle and Cruz teal respectively. I can't wait, but they won't be here until August at the earliest.

Here's my early 2010 classic Stingray.

image.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  6. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    How do you order?

7. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    No, you're not the only one. I'm on 29 at the moment and will be ordering some of the new models in due course.

These are from 2000 (Metal Flake Green SR5) and 2009 (Surf Green Classic):

FRnOreU.

nateh415, Mikey F, Badwater and 7 others like this.
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Thru one of the authorized retail shops: if you're in the US, like Bass Central in Florida or Martin Music in Memphis. Or check to see if theres a shop closer to you.

9. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I can't get past the neck profile...If i owned one it would have to be the SLO...

Gabbs likes this.
  10. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Or a sterling. The neck on the Sterlings might have taken over my love of a jazz neck

nateh415 and lowdownthump like this.
  11. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    A Stingray tragic here - currently own three, each setup for a different type of gig. Love them all.
    Mike

12. I can cover A LOT of grounds with this pair. Still, wouldn’t mind owning another Ray for stringing with flats or Bongo for different flavour.
    1045705D-62E3-4B3C-8A04-54E9498D2A0E.

nateh415, Mikey F, Badwater and 3 others like this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I only see two, and even if you got 2 more I would not call that extraordinary at all.
    So; I think you're quite normal.
    Relax ;)

14. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    You need a Bongo... :)
    4H Bongo is my current fave. Wish one could order a 4-band and 2-band (or Old Smoothie electronics) in a Bongo 4H...

Badwater likes this.
  15. Is that SR5 your main bass for the show - I don't think I've ever seen one that colour before - you really can't beat a ceramic SR5 - I'm guessing that's the Bass Guitar Live pre production bass as well. Excellent

liverbird likes this.
  16. I love Music Man basses. I got my first Music Man a year ago. I have a large 40 basses or so, and some good ones. I was gigging with a Mike Lull. Before that A Nash, Alembic basses, G&L, Fender and on and on. To me the Music Man Sterling beats them all. I like it so much a got a second one. One for practice and one for gigs. I am trading off an Alembic Epic in a few days for a 5 string Stingray. These basses come the closest to what I hear in my head. And the Sterling's play amazingly well; light and fast.

nateh415 likes this.
  17. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I am the same, I just love Musicman Basses! Here is my Stingray Classic and Bongo 5 and I will be looking to get a Caprice some time this year.

C360_2018-01-06-14-14-39-149.

C360_2018-01-04-12-55-44-551.

nateh415, Mikey F, Badwater and 6 others like this.
  18. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I got my first one in September or so last year. Got a second in January. Didn't really love the sound so I sold it and got the white sterling. I went from never playing a MM to buying 3 in 7 months and am so close to pulling the trigger on a sterling classic I can almost already play it. Also wanting a sabre a bango a sparkle ray or sterling and an old smoothie. I'm afraid I'm going to end up with a musicman rack in the neck year.

My rack of poor fenders is just sitting untouched

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    nateh415 and Badwater like this.
  19. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    Inhab

20. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    I was looking at many basses for my first, “higher end purchase” wasn’t crazy about some of the “standards” from other manufacturers, tried a MM 4HH, loved the playability, and the tonal varieties you can get from that bass, recently bought a used Bongo, which I think plays awesome. Big fan of the MM family, not of the latest price increase though.