musicman bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fdiaz05, Apr 18, 2003.

1. fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    never heard of such a thing but what do you guys know about musicman bass amps?
  2. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I know that the 212 is 95lbs and it has a 6" mid speaker that goes with the 2 12's. I have heard good things never any bad except perhaps the weight. The speakers are made in Italy by a very reputable company called ??...I can't remember the name. E Bay was selling the 210's.
  3. fdiaz05

Oct 24, 2002
    music man as in the same that makes the stingrays? or a different company
  4. The very same. The cabs have been discussed extensively here; the heads, less so. Try a search, you'll plenty of info on at least the cabs...they're good stuff, from what I've heard. Sorry to say I know nothing about the amps though :meh:
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've played the head, the 500 watt model, I believe. They have one at Bass Central. It's a nice head sort of sounds like a cross between SWR, Ampeg, and a little GK in there somewhere. Very nice head, and if it comes at the right price, snag one.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I only spend about 10 minutes on it. Call Bass Central, Gard could probably give you a better run down.
  6. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Has anybody played thru the Ernie Ball MusicMan Audiophile cabinets? The 210 or 212 is all I have ever heard of. Are there more?
    Thanks, Danny
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the 210 and 212 ARE Audiophile cabs, unless the printing on my steel grill is lying to me.

Do you meant the 410s?
  8. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California was wondering what the 210 and 212 sound like? Do you love them? Would you replace them if some basterd stole them...etc... I was also trying to ask if there were more cab's in this series like a 410 or a 115 or...? I'm not sure what you are saying about the printing on your grill?

9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The printing= stenciled Logo near the bottom of the grill. Check out for pics of them. The Audiophile logo is actually on a steel grill, not cloth, as it would appear in pictures.

Anyway, there are the 212, 212, and 410. Those are the only ones I'm aware of.

I own the HD212, and it's a beast. It's super deep and could give any 15" out there a run for it's money. It's incredibly tight and fast. When stacked up against an Eden 210XST, it's not quite as tight and clear, but the 210XST is a modern marvel of a 210.

It's like having a really fast, unmuffled 15, really. It's got a 6" mid driver, so it also has a lot better range than a standard 15, or even 12. I'm not sure what the internal crossover is set to, offhand.

As for sound, it's sorta very clear, sort of like SWR, but less brittle and snappy sounding.

Would I replace it? I wouldn't, but only because I've been after an excuse to get an 18 for a looong time, and I already have and Eden 410XLT. However, if I didn't have the XLT, yes, I would replace it.

Sorely underrated cabs, heavey as heck, with the 212 coming in 96 lbs, but they are NICE cabs. Sturdy and sounding just as good as any cab I've come across.

If you can get one, snap it up.
  10. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Hey Brenden, thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for; a review of the 212, and, you seem to like it,which sucks for me, because now I would like to get one even more. It's the lbs's that is stopping me. Thanks much!!

I figured this out, the price per pound:
    $4.05/lb for the Erine Ball MM Audiophile
    $4.81/lb for the Avatar B212
    $4.50/lb for the AvatarB115H
    These prices include shipping.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They sell on E-bay for 350+35 for shipping, so you can get one at a grand total of $385, which ia a steal on these things.

Plus, look at it as charity work. The company is selling them for that price because the cabs were discontinued due to market reasons, so now they are blowing the out at this price, which is a good deal on an item that lists for over $1000, but al of the proceeds goes to the Casey Lee Ball Foundation.

Killer Cab, and a charity donation, c'mon, DO IT.
  12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    There is also a 610 cabinet.

The crossover for the 212 is 1.8 kHz.
  13. jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    i just saw a matched pair of vintage musicman cabs(not for sale) a 212(speaker on bottom 2/3) and a 115(speaker on top 2/3) so that when stacked the speakers are in the middle and ports on top and bottom.absolutely gorgious(sic?)so we know there is also a 115.
  14. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I have the 2X12 and I love it; if you want to hear it go to the link in my sig; all the bass tracks are this cab with a mic except "Love turns the wheel" which I also ran my bass through a splitter to a old marshall guitar amp and a 2x15 as well as my main rig which is a SVT CL and the 2X12 at the same time.

I think I heard something about a 4X10 but I “think” they discontinued before they got to it.
  15. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    the 4x10 is pretty nice also but it's a stone !If you purchase 1,I think that you would defanantly like to have casters put on it.
  16. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    dunno about the new stuff but the original music mans were produced between 1973 and 1983, there are two models of the bass head, the sixty five and the HD 130.

There were also 2 x 12 cabs and i x 15 cabs with the aforementioned bass ports...

I got a sixty five head and 1x 15 cab about a year ago, it totally blew me away, the little amp did a better job than my ampeg at cutting through the band...

Ive started using the amp with an eden 4x10 and the tone is unbelieveable, i love them so much i just bought the louder HD 130.

Early models of the amp are all tube, later on they have a solid stage pre-amp with a tube power amp.