Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Bass Copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy2, Sep 30, 2000.

1. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    I was searching the internet looking for a good musicman copy and I find only 2 Basses,,, the Dillion for $325.00 Blond Finish at Stevesmusiccenter.com and a Jay Turser Musicman copy for$199.00 at victorlitz.com

I want to know if the Dillion and the Tursers are good basses?

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm not sure about either of those....but two others that ARE decent are...an Aslin Dane...and an Austin. Another good copy is the Samick. I beieve that any of these can be had for $200, or less.

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Both of these basses (Dillion and Turser) are made in the same Korean factory by Samick. The importer of both instruments has them built to his specs and finishes then imports them into North America under his product names (Dillion and Jay Turser).
    As far as the quality of these basses, I firmly believe that you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don't.
    Cheers

4. Cort makes some Music Man copies. Given the relative quality of Cort-built vs. Samick-built instruments, I would go with the Cort over a Turser or Dillon.

5. Andy2

Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    Thanks for the replys

6. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    You may want to consider a used Stingray or Sterling.
    However, if that doesn't work, take a look at some of Peavey's basses because, IMHO, their stuff is far better than the products of the other manufacturers you've mentioned.

7. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    Hi,

I'm new here, but I'd have to say the Cort SB-10 is a pretty decent Stingray copy for under $250.

Lifetime warranty, pretty darn good fretwork, P-bass nut width, and decent 'ring' to the tone. The tone knob turns a bit muddy when all the way down, but this would be a GREAT platform bass for new pickups/ tone circuit!

Only comes in 3 colors, and harder to find than some other brands (pickguard's not the coolest looking, but hey...)

Thanks for (hopefully) tolerating the long-winded post!

8. Definitely consider shelling out a bit more for a real used Musicman.

If you're absolutely stuck in the sub 300 or so pricerange (I've been there), I personally think Peavey stuff rules the low end.

9. I found these on ebay OLP (Official Licensed Copies)
    http://www.olpguitars.com/http://www.olpguitars.com/

10. Necrophilia?...:eyebrow:

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    People complain and moan for users to search for topics... Sometimes this is what you get. An 8 year old thread hefted up from the bowels of TB.

On topic... I've had a couple OLP's (Single pickup and HH) and really liked both "after" I did a full setup and fret leveling. Frets on both were pretty uneven and made it impossible to get a lowish action on them. I liked the sound and playability of both though.

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    OLP's are okay (played alright, but the tone falls way short of a Stingray), but an Ibanez ATK is way better.

13. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    arent OLPs discont?

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, but they're still available used.

15. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Some threads never die. They just sit dormant for years until someone puts in their 2 cents (like me!).

Yes, OLP (Officially Licensed Product) have been discontinued. EBMM did not renew their license to make copies. From what I hear the OLPs were decent. But as has been said, go for a real MM if possible. Get a SUB (which also have been discontinued) if you can find one. They are amazing basses.

16. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Are these olp's better quality than the SX MM copy?

17. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The OLPs IMHO are the same quality as the SX MM copies. But the OLP electronics are slightly better than the SX electronics.

You might consider a Sterling by MusicMan bass line a this point. They are the new OLP.

18. mgauge

mgauge

Dec 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    +1... Im all about getting exactly what u want...I speak from experience..

Buying something I dont really want only to end up trading it/selling it to eventually get what I want

19. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger

May 12, 2010
    Facebook
    I currently own an Aslin Dane Stingray copy which has never let me down. A good friend who is a very professional engineer likes it, he has owned the real deal and does not mind recording me with it. I currently put it up for trade on Ebay for the sole reason that my wife picked up playing bass and she is taking off like a rocket but she is petite so I want to replace it with a Fender Mustang or Musicmaster so she can comfortably reach the fretboard. I put a $500.00 min. bid so that I can be assured that whoever bites knows I just want to trade. If you ask me it's worth $325-or $250 for friend prices. The pick-up is a little on the low end side but I am a fan of 10" speakers for Bass or Guitar and don't really have a problem pulling high end punch out of it. It is pretty much a workhorse, built tough, good bridge, stays in tune after playing Motorhead. Happy plucking.

20. Wow, old thread!