Musicman Bass Decal… on Sterling SUB 4 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzman64, Jun 24, 2021.

1. jazzman64

jazzman64

Apr 16, 2021
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello folks…I was curious what you retake would on someone putting a Musicman Bass Decal on the cheaper Sterling SUB 4 bass!

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Same as if somebody put a Fender decal on a Squier.

3. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    You will get a million people telling you how bad it is for various reasons. In the end the owner can do what they want.

4. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Why would you want to do that?

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If it makes you grin when you see it, go for it.

The only caveat is that you make sure you honestly represent it for what it is if you decide to sell.

petrus61, covermego, 74hc and 22 others like this.
  6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    No big deal. It only becomes an issue if someone tries to sell it as a USA Ernie ball

selowitch, MarMar, cnltb and 5 others like this.
  7. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    Put a Gibson logo on it. That will really get some underwear all bunched up.

8. jazzman64

jazzman64

Apr 16, 2021
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just like the music man logo better…and it looks cool. I never intended to sell it off as a real MM anyways.

lfmn16, Esteban Garcia and shojii like this.
  9. Remove the decal if you sell it.

Meaculpa, mrcbass and Aqualung60 like this.
  10. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Well, it's your bass, so do what you want. Your original post asked what our take would be on doing it. My take is that I could never do something like that. Just the fact that I have a misrepresented item in my possession would drive me nuts.

Edit: I used to have a coworker that had a base model Mercedes-Benz. After owning it for about a year, he slapped an AMG logo on the back of it. Although he never mentioned the logo addition to anyone, a few of us noticed and started looking at him in a less respectful light. Just sayin'....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Mili, Ricky Rioli, TrustRod and 12 others like this.
  11. Jonny Reese

Jonny Reese

Jun 27, 2020
    Boston, MA
    I don't get this at all. Same with people sanding off "made in Mexico/Indonesia/etc". If you're ashamed of some aspect of your instrument then why did you buy it? Work harder, save up, and buy what you'll be proud of. I just demo'd Indonesian Squier Jazz basses and they were incredible. I ended up buying a Mexican Vintera J instead but would I sand off the country of manufacture in either case? No freakin' way. Insecurity is one of the most dastardly of human conditions.

P Cheen, LukeSlywalker, Mili and 16 others like this.
  12. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    This is actually quite interesting because generally speaking, the cheaper Sterling by Music Man/Squier waterslide logos are harder to find (especially for a specific model). I agree it can be malicious/deceptive to remove the existing cheaper logo and apply the logo from the higher end brand for the sake of selling the instrument for a premium. That being said, for the sake of a replacement neck or secondary neck and if the owner is up front about what the bass is and what it's not (if they're selling), I do not see anything wrong with this. For example, let's say on my SBMM SUB Ray4HH "Project Code Red" I decide to snag a Status Graphite carbon fiber neck. Literally the only thing that's stock from SBMM on the bass at that point would be the body, I'd probably end up putting an EBMM Stingray logo on the new neck's headstock as the 'newer' SBMM SUB waterslide decal is not available and the older one with the giant SUB letters is unattractive IMO. However if I were to sell the bass, it would be important to be 100% honest/up front with what the bass is vs what it isn't.

13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Seriously?
    Hey, I know they make some great basses, but the logo has to be one of the worst of all time. It reminds me of some children's toy logo from Japan.
    th-jpeg-244.jpg
    Other than that, it always makes me wonder why some people insist on doing it.
    Does it make it a better bass?
    Does it make the bassist feel better?
    Not the end of the world, but so superficial.

14. beatdatthang

beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    I don’t have a problem with it. Do what you want to your instrument. If you gig regularly, if anything, it will keep you from having to deal with gear snobs. It’s amazing how many unsolicited opinions by self-proclaimed experts that feel the need to lay their mighty opinions on you if you gig a SBMM, Squier, Epiphone, etc.

It’s not just bassists. gui****ists love to comment on people’s gear between sets and after shows. If the headstock says Fender, Gibson, or EBMM, other musicians don’t bat an eye. Sometimes it’s just easier to avoid the comments.

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I make my own basses. Rather than have a decal on it, I sign the headstock with my initials. I'm actually trying to make the bass less attractive to others - as a theft proofing strategy.

If you want to go the other way, go for it, but if you sell it with a deceptive sticker, that's flat out fraud.

16. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    If you really want to drive ‘em nuts, cover the headstock decal entirely with gaff tape!

I knew a person that did this and when I asked them why they did this, their response was: “because they will not give me an endorsement“

/\/\3phist0, design, MarMar and 6 others like this.
  17. Bassdoggydogg

Bassdoggydogg

Jan 29, 2021
    You should also get world's greatest bassist tatted across your neck. That will probably be harder to remove than a decal though.

design, Mili and Ricky Rioli like this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I've played hundreds (300ish) of gigs in the last 5 years, with basses that have my initials on them, and so far, not one negative comment. I do get comments on how good I sound at times, or (sometimes) how good one of my instruments looks, so it's not like they're not paying attention. Either I'm hanging with a very different group of people, or the headstock thing is not important.

The people I play with don't care what instrument you bring, they care what you do with it.

Mili, MarMar, LowActionHero and 3 others like this.
  19. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I replaced the Honda emblem on my Pilot with a Mercedes one to trick random strangers into thinking better of me. I even added an AMG badge to the rear hatch to impress the Mercedes snobs.

MarMar, yodedude2, MynameisMe and 2 others like this.
  20. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I had a buddy who did this when he was touring. I did it in my younger days as well. If you weren’t paying me I wasn’t going to advertise for you.

Mili and MarMar like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021