Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MusicMan basses are really that good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Human Bass, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    well, I am left-handed, tired of my **** ibanez gsr200 and really wanting a very good bass. The Stingay and also the Sterling have left-handed versions...and Im really thinking in buy the Sterling (lighter than Stingray,pickup switch, sculpted heel)...now my questions:

1- How low can i put the action withou fret buzz on it ?
    2- Does the neck is comfortable and fast as a fender jazz?
    3- Which woods is the body made from?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IF you can try a left handed Stingray or Sterling, it would be nice. As a righty, I can only imagine how annoying it must be to have order a bass special or just take one of the two basses on the rack if you are lucky.

If you want a Jazz style neck, the Sterling would be better. I like STingray necks, but I think most people consider them a bit chunky. I think that Stingrays are Ash. Bongos are Basswood.

Qualitywise, I think that Ernie Ball amkes arguably the best mass produced bass in the world. I think you would have to go to really expensive (+$2,000) boutique basses to get any sort of quality improvement over a Sitngray or Sterling. You should be able to get the action very low and very comfortable. These are great basses, but everyone does not love their sound, listen to Stingray artists and try to play one and see what you think.

Personally, I love my Stingray 5 and I recommend it, but I know that everyone is not a Stingray lover.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I agree with Dr. Cheese. Qualitywise, they are phenominal. You don't run into many bad ones.
    The woods they use are primarily ash... even on solid colors, but they do use some poplar on solid colors. There's really no way to know for sure that i'm aware of. Transparent colors are all made from ash.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I like them okay, I reckon.

5. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

As a dedicated SR5 owner I second that!

6. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I owned a brand new 1980 pre-EB SR for 11 years and I loved it. I now own a 2004 EBMM SR4 and I love it even more than I did the first one. They're built like tanks. Really hope nobody ever takes it to me upside the head. They'd kill me.

If you like a J-style neck, go with the Sterling. I prefer the StingRay neck because I'm just used to it.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. As low as any bass made.

2. Stingrays are more like P basses. Sterlings are more like J's. Bongos, I don't know because I haven't played one yet.

3. According to someone who works at EBMM, woods for the body other than ash are very rare. I've seen a few special editions with curly maple tops and bound bodies, but they claim that there are very few MM's with anything but ash bodies, regardless of the finish being clear or not.

Are they really that good? To some people they are. I, quite frankly, don't dig the sound of Stingrays and Sterlings. Everyone who plays one sounds basically the same.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well you must not like most of bass in modern music then. Because they're either J or P and ergo also all sound the same.

9. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I believe he was speaking about the neck profiles, not the sound, when he made the J/P comparison. Read the original post, question #2.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Maybe I just can't read English well because I don't know where it says neck profiles in this line:

11. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    from one lefty to another.

i just picked up my first sterling after years of trying many other options out there, mostly fenders.
    it DESTROYS anything else i've tried. the neck is like a jazz, but its got a more solid together feel. I find it has much better sustain than anything else i've tried.
    My only problem is now I have all these different tone options, and they're ALL good

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ernie Ball makes possibly THE highest, most consistent quality mass produced bass on the market, with the only feasible competition coming from the folks at Rickenbacker.

13. I don't see where it says anything about J or P basses in that line either.

Comeon man, in #2 he's replying to the original poster's question about neck profiles, in #3 he's replying to the original poster's question about tone. That's probably why the poster used numbers, so there wouldn't be any confusion.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK Mr. Nitpicko, in question 2 I was adressing the neck profiles.

As for the little comment I added about the sound, you can't possibly tell me that everyone who plays a Fender P or J sounds the same. Does Mike Dirnt sound like James Jamerson? Does Jaco Pastorius sound like Larry Graham?

However, people who play MusicMan basses have a common tonality. Dave LaRue, while not playing very much like Flea, sounds like he's playing a MusicMan just as much as Flea does when he uses one, and just as much as Louis Johnson when he uses one. It's a very identifiable sound that I can pick out a mile away. Sorry if that bothers you.

15. impact07

impact07

Jul 13, 2005
    Tucson, Az
  16. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Does Dave LaRue sound like Flea? Does Louis Johnson sound like John Deacon did on Another One Bites The Dust?

You can't honestly be suggesting that a precision has a wider tonality than a stingray, can you?

17. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    one sound? well kinda.. but what a sound! they do have a "modern" sound and it's definitly not a J or a P... but

With EQ and playing style adjustments you can easily still sound original on them SR's.. best advice was mentioned before.. go listen to some SR artists and play a few before you buy one..

they are great "workhorse" basses.. very solid, reliable, no nonsense and I like how they look..

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I feel like a Precision lets the player sound like how he wants to sound rather than the bass projecting its own personality on you like a Stingray does. It's not a question of wider tonality and fancy switching knobs. It's a question of the bass allowing you to sound what you want to sound like rather than some variation of the same sound. And yeah, I think all those MM players sound different but also have a lot in common in their sounds. You like the MusicMan sound, fine. I like it now and then but would certainly never make it my main bass.

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    They certainly are, but I still feel they're overpriced in Europe. But then again, so is everything from the opposite side of the pond.

20. Sorry to jump in, but if they are into that bass, then isn't that the sound that comes from the player, they obviously hear that sound in there head, that's why there are so many brands, because we all hear it differently, but obviously the sting ray appeals to a great range of players. I think that by naming the players you have, you've only highlighted the bass's diversity, that it works in so many different situations, and still kicks ass.
    It's just another voice, just like a jazz voice, or a precision voice, or even a ricky voice.