Musicman basses on clearance at GC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Apr 7, 2005.

1. So I stopped by the local GC today and they are blowing out Musicman basses. SR5 (Orange sparkle) $818.00 new, bongo 4 $797. new and bongo 5 $897 new. I asked my buddy who works there what was up and he says they'e blowing them out to make room for a new line of Musicman products. Good deal for someone as I just bought my new vintage burst 5 with a matching headstock for $1,290 it's flawless and it's the exact color I wanted but jeez these prices are ridiculous! I think I'm jealous :rollno:
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Grab a couple for ebay. Springtime is usually the time when new models begin to hit stores in quantity.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Damn, I thought I had gotten a good deal on my new SR5. :bawl: Oh well, at least I know personally know the dealer. That counts for something when it comes to service and my bass did come with a good set up. :cool:
  4. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    that sound hard to believe...$800 for a BONGO
  5. Dr Cheese, the "untouched by greasy tirekickers" (like myself :D) factor is the only consolation for me.
  6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Your friend is a little misguided. They did this at the GC that I work at. The prices were lowered so that GC could move what had been percieved (unfairly IMO) as a fairly stagnant product. They do that alot, and everytime it seems misguided. This is why you see retailers that hyperfocus on midlevel instruments. Simply put, they're easier to move. Not everyone is so enlightened as TB folk, who probably all realized (or will eventually realize) that the money spent on midlevel instruments over the years could have amounted to that high end piece of gear that we always wanted. Anyways, when you see a deal like this, jump on it. The only person losing out is the salesman, but hey, GC doesn't give a damn about us anyways. Oh, and if you wait, the price will go back up to $1100-1200 dollars, like it always is.
  7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    which GC is this?
  8. San Marcos CA. (Northern San Diego County)
  9. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Called em, they have a black one in stock for 797... with a tiny ding in the body, and one other of unknown color... they are going to call me back when they find it.
  10. There are deals like that here too, but I need a new amp! GAH.
  11. So is the orange sparkle one gone? It would have gone great with my gold sparkle SR5, I need a backup!

12. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Dunno, I only asked about fours..
  13. Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005

I'm after a Bongo 4, HH or HS, anyone know which GC to try.
    I'm in Ausrsalia....and these prices are really attractive to me , even after shipping!.........

Any info, tel no's, details etc gratefully received

14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I can see the headlines now:

"Bongo goes down the toilet"

"Bongo basses finally flushed"
  15. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i just bought a new stingray 4 for $819.99. it's a brand new, not b- stock or anything and in remarkably great condition
    (considering it's from GC)- no dings or dents, a few light scuffs on the surface but nothing major (i went over it with a fine tooth comb to see these). this was at the highland park, il store, north of chicago. i wish they had them as cheap as the first poster, because i'd have preferred a 5, but the only one they had was $1019 and in metallic orange. one of these days i'll post pics, but it's just a black stingray with a rosewood board :D gonna' go to my friend's blues jam tonight to try her out.... :bassist:
  16. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    Well, it seems as if every GC has a different story. I just picked up a Bongo 5 at my GC for $950. According to the salesman, Music Man is discontinuing a bunch of the colors they had, and GC is getting ready to stock the new colors by blowing out the old colors. I don't think there are any plans to discontinue the Bongo. :bassist:
  17. Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    At the guitar center in Atlanta the Bongos were the only MusicMans on discount. That is part of the reason I came home with a Geddy Lee Jazz instead of a SR4, also they did not have my color. The pricing on the Bongos was some what weird though. The price seemed to hop around based on colors as opposed to the amount of strings... et cetera.
  18. Orange sparkle? That sounds like a nice colour. :cool:
  19. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    buy that bongo fiver and ill buy it from you for 150 bucks more for your trouble:)
  20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

:D :D :D :D