1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MusicMan basses... the food chain

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plugger, Aug 13, 2007.

1. OK, I know the SUB is basically a cheaper Stingray. What about the Bongos and the Sterlings? Where do they fit into the MM foodchain?

The Sterlings look very Stingray-like... are they a replacement for the SUBs? Or are they their own thing entirely?

-Mark

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Sub models only lasted about 4 years. The Sub was made only to proove a quality american made instrument can be made at a low price point. The Sub is gone, point proven, there is no replacement. Also there were Sub Stingrays and Sterlings made, and also the SR5.

The Sterling is an entire different bass. It came out back in 93/94 and is a different alternative; it has a smaller body, more narrow neck, pickups with ceramic magnets, and the ability to coil switch. It only looks similar from far away, but is a different animal.

Bongos are way different. Their electronics are totally different than the older two MM models.

3. So in the MM "family", what would the SUB5 be closest to, in terms of feel and playability? A Stingray 5?

I've been looking at SUB 5's for my son, and thought maybe I should consider other second hand MMs if one comes up at a good price.

-Mark

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    The SUB5 has a neck that's essentially the same as the SR5, but has more of a SR4 vibe, with the body shape and electronics. The SUB5 has an alnico pickup compared with the ceramic pickup of the SR5. Also the SUB5 doesn't have the coil switching options of the SR5.

5. I dont know, but I played a Dargie Delight Stingray5 at GC today. Man I want this bass!!! I played it through a Markbas TA501 and 106HF Cab!! FRIGGIN FAT!!!!!!!!! But, I have other axes on my list.