Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by knash2112, Feb 7, 2001.

1. knash2112

knash2112

Dec 12, 2000
    Can anyone give me a real quick idea of the differences between the 4-string Stingray and the Sterling? On the Ernie Ball website, they look pretty close to the same thing, with some minor differences on some dimensions like neck radius and head stock size. Are these the only differences, or is there more to it?

Thanks for your help.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The body is slightly smaller and the Sterling has a switch to select series single coil or parallel. The Stingray 4 has series only.

Got to go the doublebassers are after me.

3. The Stingray and the Sterling sound very similar.. although the Sterling has a wider variety of tones, some players feel that it can't quite sound enough like a Stingray for them.

Both basses are great, give em a try and see what you like.

4. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    They are both fantastic IMO. The Stingray is a little heavier, bigger, with wider neck and string spacing...still very comfortable even for someone on the small side like myself. I love them both. I played both of them extensively over the past couple of weeks and I bought a black Sterling because it just sang to me a little more and it felt just perfect in my hands. I will readily admit that I enjoyed slapping the Stingray more..but I slap very little. Who knows which one will speak to you? I would bet that you are going to have good time finding out!

5. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000