1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman Body woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thumbman, Nov 30, 2006.

1. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey all.

I've been doing some searching but havent quite got my question answered. I may have bypassed the thread i want, but ill ask and hopefully this can get answered quick like.:)

I'm looking at selling my single H ray for a double H ray and just want to know one thing. Body woods on a solid colour finish...whats the go???

I heard from a few places that with Music man either way your getting a slab of ash, but to me that doesnt explain the cost difference as usually the cost on a trans finish is do to the more expensive wood used for the body.

I want to get a white ray with a white pick guard with matching headstock and rosewood board...for some reason they just look too suave for me to pass up...but as most musicmen basses that i LOVED were trans, I'm wondering how much of a differance there will be with a solid finish.

If anyone knows what the difference is in wood between the solid and trans finishes that would be great.

Ohh and any double H owners...do you find it limiting that there is no balance knob on the rays and sterlings?

cheers

Damo

Peace out.

P.S - this message took me ages to write because I'm still a little intoxicated from a night on the town...How much of a bass nerd am I?..i get home and start looking up stingrays:eyebrow:

2. I can't answer your question but I bet the boys at MusicMan can. I've e-mailed their customer care dept. a number of times and they've always come back with 24 hours with the answer I needed.

Give them a go, they really are such helpful people:

http://www.ernieball.com/contact.php

Cheers, and happy bass hunting.

3. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yep, cool. Good call! i will do that...in the meantime.

other musicman owners. Do you personally notice a big difference in tone and feel between the solid and trans finish basses?

I know im being a little anal about it all, but i need to be POSITIVE before i unload my cherry burst stingray:( .....best finish ever.

4. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    Im pretty sure that ernie ball uses rock ash for all bodies except the 30th anniv. bass. thats mahogany.

5. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    From their faq:

http://www.ernieball.com/faq_content.php?subjectcode=mm_basses

6. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    AH...i knew i read that somewhere!!!

has anyone found a major difference in the playability with the solid finishes though. Or would a solid finish vs a trans finish yield pretty much identical tones?

Good to know its almost all ash now...i dig ash

7. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Most likely you will get ash so don't worry about it. The fact that trans finishes are more expensive has little to do with wood type, its because its a more time consuming process and therefore costlier process to spray those finishes.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    And not all trans finishes are more expensive. Just the complicated ones, like the bursts.

9. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    hey thanks for the help guys!

and yeh, where i am, all trans finishes and natural incur a fee...all solid are the standard price.

ie. retail on a solid finish is $3050 i think and on a burst/trans/nat is $3350 (thats AUD and single H versions, i could be off by a little but im fairly positive im on the money)

Cheers