1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MUSICMAN BONGO 5 vs IBANEZ BTB1205

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzfish, May 14, 2006.

1. jazzfish

jazzfish

Aug 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Hi all, I'll be on a trip to Japan and I might look to get a bass and these are basses I'd look..

1.BONGO 5 - I noticed some shops selling them about US$1100 and I'v always fancied its tone after trying them when I was in the US.

2.IBANEZ BTB1205 - or a similar priced SR905/1005 about US$1100

3.LAKLAND SHORELINE 55-94 - Does anyone know wheter these ESP made ones are made to US specs or they r jus an expensive version of the SKYLINES? US$1750 (That's right)

4.G&L L2500 TRIBUTEs - made in Japan but any diff to the KOREAN made ones? US$1300 or so

5.One of those BACCHUSs Similarly priced

Could you guys jus throw in yr 2 cents worth on the strengths of these basses so that I could at least try them with some background info?

Budget is not a big deal - cos I'll stay within this category.
    Play Pop + Jazz fusion.

Thanks all for yr opinions!

2. I would say to go with the ibanez, but thats because i love ibanez's and dont like bongo's much

Thing is, they will be very different sounding animals

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    It's true that the Bongo and the Ibanez are two different animals, but I'll just say this:

If you like the Bongo, it's a bass you'll keep forever. Once you realize it's for you, there's really no reason to get anything else.

But an Ibanez...that's something that you always want to upgrade. Ibanez is something you get until you can afford to get a 'real' bass in my view.

As far as the Japanese G&L Tributes, don't bother. For that much money (usually less) you can get a USA G&L. Or for around $500 you can get a Korean Tribute which is as good if not better than the Japanese tributes.

Never cared for any of the Laklands I played so I'm not much help there.

Never played a Bacchus.

I say try the Bongo first to see if you can grasp it and understand the controls and see if you like the feel and if so, go for it.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    bongobongobongo

5. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    BONGO!

6. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    If it were me, I'd sit down and play all my choices and take the one that plays the best in my hands. But its you asking me, so I'll say.... BONGO!

It has power, tone, and cuts through the mix.

Like Tater said, once you get one, you're there.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Nothing but the truth there. I will never think of selling my Bongos. IMO, you can't get any better in the world of mass-produced basses. Go Bongo!

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    does this anwer your question?

now just wait for sir bongohost to arrive with more tempting photos.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

It doesn't seem like much of a comparison to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. From someone who had (and sold) a Bongo and who currently has an SR505, here are my .02 ...

I think the Ibanez xx05's are great basses. My SR505 is awesome -- at it's price point.

The main reason I sold my Bongo is that I didn't want to have $1,000 tied up in another bass -- and with that thinking, the Ibby fits the bill quite nicely.

If however, I was going to spend OVER $1000, I would probably go with the Bongo. (Actually, it I were going to spend over $1,000 for another bass right now, it'd be a Stingray but that's another thread.)

Regarding the Bongo, the thing is a tone monster -- literally a nuclear cruise missile of power and tone -- and the EBMM build quality is legendary.

Ultimately, you need to play them both and let your eyes, ears, hands, and heart be your guide. You can't go wrong with either.

11. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    BONGO...There is no other bass that can compair

12. jazzfish

jazzfish

Aug 17, 2005
    Singapore
    WOW! Hey thanks u guys for being helpful...

ya i do like the BONGO when i tried it.A LOT. was just considering options. It seems that because of the sale/promotion, the BONGOs look like they r relatively cheaper vs ORIGINAL price compared the others i mentioned = better value?

only thing is colours might b limitied to possibly only sapphire black w moonstone ,candy red w white pearloid , egyptian smoke w moonstone.

BTW, can anyone help me figure out the difference (not pricewise) but soundwise and whatnot btw the..

1. HH
    2. HS
    3. H
    4. HH piezo
    5. HS piezo
    6. H piezo

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I recorded some sound samples just after getting my fretted HH piezo. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post a link for you to download them. :)

14. jazzfish

jazzfish

Aug 17, 2005
    Singapore
    hey thanks Alvaro..yup i'd appreciate them.

Pardon for the Noob Qn, but wat is/are ' PIEZO' in pickups ?

What do they add to the sound?

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

OK. You can download them here.

The piezos, which are small pickups in each bridge saddle, give the instrument tone more of an "acoustic" character. Here's a pic of a piezo bridge:

[​IMG]

16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Piezo adds flexibility, but also several hundred $$$ to cost. If the Bongo is your ultimate bass, it's probably worth getting for the additional flexibility, but if you're stretching your budget, I don't think you'd miss it. Most people who have them don't use a lot of piezo in the mix.

If I were getting another Bongo, I'd get a single H version.

The HH has more flexibility in tone, but the single H pickup location is absolutely perfect. No need to fiddle around.

Ibanez basses can be good, but they don't have as much character as a Bongo, and the Bongo tone is HUGE. It's not for everyone.

17. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    :rolleyes:

18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I love my HH Bongos and I am slowly but surely making friends with my HSC Bongos, but the single H is such a killer. Plug it in, point it in the right direction, knock down walls.