1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Bongo Issue with the Low B String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thejamesjordan, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    Hi guys,

I have been a happy Bongo owner for about 2 years. Recently however there are certain notes on the fretboard (specifically C, C#, D) now produce this pop that sounds like my speakers are popping.

This doesnt happen with any other notes. To have the issue resolved I got a fresh setup, and it is still happening. They fixed intonation, etc. (and he said there was no major warping of the neck or anything).

Has anyone had any similar issues?

Thanks,

2. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    Did you raise your pickup (or lower your action) ?

I had that with my SR5 after I finished the last setup. The pickup was too close to the strings.

3. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    He had said that he was getting the pickups back to the factory settings. It is the initial thought that I had as well, and I did pull the pickups down when I firswt noticed it (prior to bringing it in), but it is still there.

Good suggestion though.

Any other thoughts?

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I had that happen with mine, and it was the pickup. You may have to drop it just a little bit more. Or play a little softer. If it doens't happen when you play it softly, then I'd say it's most definitely the pickup height.

5. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    The NEO magnets in those are SUPER powerful.

Raise the saddle?

6. Thejamesjordan

Thejamesjordan

Mar 2, 2006
    It would make sense if it was the pickup. Do you think I would hear any kind of sound deterioration by taking the pickups down a bit further?

Also, I have the HH model. Is it safe to assume that the pickup closest to the bridge is the likely culprit?

Thanks,

7. Jason Brown

Jason Brown

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I don't have the popping speakers issue, but I'm having a hard time dialing in the B on my Bongo to sound like it's part of the same bass as the other strings. I've adjusted the pickups up and down, finally settling on the factory recommended specs, and keep adjusting the EQ, but the B is either too powerful or too weak depending on where the knobs are set.

I'm a bit baffled because I don't have this issue with my other EBMM bass. That one has the best B I've experienced yet.

8. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    The Bongo does have very powerful pickups and the low end is absolutely massive. I took me a while to get mine dialed in. I always start with the bass cut a bit. I don't like the tone at all until I do. I also have the pickups lower on my Bongo than any bass I've owned.

Michael

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    When I was doing my own music with The Nerve I loved everything about the Bongo. It was an aggressive pop punkish 3 piece band, and the Bongo was a monster as part of it. When The Nerve broke up and I started playing in a lot of different bands I found myself wrestling with the power behind the Bongo. So much so that I eventually replaced it with first a Stingray, and then a Big Al.

I of course missed it terribly after a short period of time and had to get another. It was then that I learned I had to EQ it differently than my other basses. Started considering 1/3 of the way up the "flat" point on all the knobs. I'm now in Bongo bliss. :) And I can make the Bongo fit into any band situation.