Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Musicman control knobs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Feb 23, 2002.

1. I have a new OLP Stingray and I'm thinking about upgrading the pup to the Seymour Duncan Alnico ll.
    This bass has three knobs. The front two both seem to be volume and the back one is definitely tone. Why two volume? Does a real Stingray have three knobs?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    3 EQ Stingrays have 4 knobs. Bass, mid, treb, vol. If it's a piezo, it's a 5 knobber.
    Doc

3. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    There are 2-band EQ Stingrays with only 3 knobs. They're not as easy to come by, but they exist. In fact, when Leo designed it, it had 2-band EQ.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If the first two knobs are REALLY volume, then probably they have wired each coil of the humbucker up to it's own volume (not a new idea, Tobias and Warwick have sold basses like this).

It's possible that you have volume, passive bass cut and passive treble cut...this is how G&L basses are wired.

5. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    Rick
    go for the stc-3m3 made by seymour duncan, it is a 3 band eq but uses 3 knobs with the bass and treble controls stakced! might be your answer, ive just ordered a complete system for my olp bass
    cheers