Musicman copies (not OLP)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeding, Nov 13, 2005.

1. weeding

May 17, 2005
    In an old copy of guitar world (2002), I spotted a bass maded by a guy called (I think..) Jay Turser? His basses looked exactly the same as Ernie Ball basses. One looked exactly the same as a stingray... Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this guy?
  2. I once played a JT 12 string standard guitar, and was quite impressed. However, I've also heard alot of sob stories, starring Jay Turser instruments. I think it'd be best if you actually try the bass out a little, and read some reviews on Harmony Central. That always helps out~ :D

3. Jay Turser basses seem to be rather popular in the stores around here. You can find knockoffs of pretty much every major brand with his name on the headstock. I hear he's even doing Warwicks now. I've tried a few, but I wasn't too impressed. I think with all of the lower range stuff, some can be good, some can be bad. Consistency suffers with lower cost, I guess.
  4. Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Does he have a site? On he has Hofner Knockoffs.
  5. i am not sure that jay tersur is a guy, or at least not just a guy putting out these basses by himself...JTs are on the same level as squier imo...although i did play the mm copy, and i did like it, and a friend of mine has the SG guitar copy and he is really happy with it too!
  6. As said above consistency is what suffers.......for every 10-15 made, one might be good......the rest have flaws(i.e. bad frets, neck, paint, hardware...etc.)
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    In SA I see new ones for well under $200. You never know what you get. Definitely wouldn't mail order. Everyone I've heard sounds poor. Electronics are definitely not great. But for the price....
  8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    It's still crap.

Why throw money away on it? There are plenty of good beginner level basses out there that aren't garbage.
  9. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
  10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've played the Turser MM multiple times. I like it a lot, and it's reeeaaal cheap. Although it's very possible that I've just been playing a fluke, and that same bass that's been sitting in that shop forever is one of the few good ones. :meh:
  11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    None of them have been horrible, but none of them have been great either, and I have no problem believeing that like squire and olp, there are probably ALOT of lemons out there. I did strongly consider picking up one of their '51 pbass copies at a store a few months ago. The electronics were nothins special, but the body, neck and fretts were good, and for around $150....

The bass you are talking about is probably on the same level as OLP, and just like OLP, some are good solid basic instruments, and some are probably complete crap.

A trick about jay turser MM copies... I'm not sure how they are made now, but it used to be that if you unscrewed the mounting screws for the A string tuning machine, you could rotate it upwards, drill new mounting holes and it would have the same tuner arangement as a musicman.