Musicman for only bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 26, 2002.

1. I'm going to get a bass that's gotta last me through high school, and I like Musicman, but there's some concern that it won't work in situations I'm gonna encounter. Should I get a different bass (peavy?) or will the Musicman work?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's true that a MM has a distinctive sound but I've seen it put to great use in pretty much every style.
    But get the 3-band EQ version for more versatility.

Or take a look at G&L or Lakland.
  3. A Stingray 5 or Sterling can be surprisingly versatile. Look into one.
  4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Along with the other great qualities of MM basses, they have a very versatile range of tones-
    The 3-band eq lets you dial in a very smooth & dark tone for a jazz line- walking or upright feel,
    and there is enough punch from treble & mid boosts
    for the funkiest attack.
    Combined with the overall build quality & great feel of MM basses, you won't be disappointed if that's your choice.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can't completely dial out the signature MM sound, so make sure you love it. And like JMX said, get the 3 band EQ.
  6. true dat...

(good advice, jeff!!)
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The obvous question would be to have you name a potential situation where the Musicman would NOT work.

I'm not sure where people get these ideas.
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    There is a difference between working poorly and not working at all. A certain bass's sonic qualities may be less than ideal in a certain situation (as e.g. P-bass with old flatwounds when playing LA'ish fusion or slap), but it will probably take you through it anyway. Like Brian, I can't think of any situation when a Musicman would not work at all.

Acoustic double bass in a metal band would probably not... but that is an extreme. :)

EDIT: forgot an important word.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I honestly believe my Sterling could be my only bass with no ill effects other than NET Syndrome.

(NET Syndrome = Not Enough Toys)
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That may be so...but when I get some dough, I'm working in an EUB into metal. Which is kinda sacreligious to UBers everywhere, but what the hey...:)
  11. Musicman basses do have a signature sound, but, don't let this mislead you into thinking that they're not versatile. The 3 band EQ on a Stingray is very responsive, and the Sterling with its 3 way switch even more so. They're also responsive as to where you pluck/pick them. They all naturally give you that Musicman sound, but, they can be made to just fill in the background if that's what you want.

I just bought one in December. I highly recommend Musicman for sound and quality of build.

Mike J.
  12. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    As the other gentle men in Talkbass replied.
    You can use it doing anything. Heck I even used mine to play country...I don't tell everybody I played country bass:( . But with a little tweaking of your amp and the EQ on your bass you can do anything. If that doesn't work buy some effect. I use a sonic maximiser with mine. Good luck and be open minded grasshopper.
  13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    You know. I haven't come across a situation where My Ray 5 didn't work.. And i've seen it in every style of music. When I brought my bass to lessons for the first time, my prof. loved it. He loved its tone.. And he is strictly Jazz.. so there ya go. It does have its distinctive tone... but I Love that tone, its so nice :)..
  14. Thanks for the feedback. I'll clarify the situation, if that helps any.

I have saved to buy a stringray 5 (I have played several and really love the distinctive sound.) Last week I was in a music store in Washington D.C. and was getting ready to buy a stingray 5, but there was a professional jazz bassist trying out high-end basses. -- this guy was an excellent musician! I asked him for the heck of it what he thought of the Ray 5.

He said that he thought it was an excellent bass, but he said that I may reach a point in my development where I will need a more versatile instrument. He said that a Peavey Cirrus or even a millenium is what he would recommend. Can I have some feedback please?
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just remember, everyone has opinions and as...rear ends, and most stink!

Go with what works for YOU.

But he's nuts!
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Y'know, a Music Man bass is one of the best production (factory) basses money can buy. People use 'em live, people use 'em in the studio, 2 band eq or otherwise. Pick one up, see if you like it. If you do, you'll be set up for a long time.
  17. There are a lot of "veteran jazz bassists" who say that nobody should play anything other than Fenders. One TalkBass fusion vet said that "simple physics" say that nobody should ever use a pick; another said that only a huge tri-amplified PA-type setup with 15s, subs, and separate horn tweeters is acceptable for bass amplification.

HeavyDuty's right on the money. Get the Stingray 5 if you like it that much.

Brendan: Tony Levin used his NS EUB to great effect with King Crimson in a context that, were the group known by any other name, would be defined as "metal."
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Can't believe everything you hear in music stores... especially in DC;)*

For instance, I make a point of extolling the virtues of Gibson basses when I'm in stores.

*hope it wasn't me:D
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    If you like the stingray by all means get it.

Ive seen them used in rock, country, pop, funk, metal. They're one of the most versatile basses out there.
  20. I have an orange Sting Ray 5 at the moment and I like it. I've also had a four string Ray and a Sterling. I can kind of understand when people say that they're not versatile, because for a long time, I was really afraid of active EQ. I've had a lot of nice basses that I couldn't get to sound right just because I thought they should sound the way I wanted them to sound with the EQ set flat. I had that problem with my MTD 535 until the guy who sold it to me suggested I really try to work with the EQ and not be afraid to crank or cut any of the bands. It was a little weird for me at first, but once I got used to it, I started to find lots of different sounds in there, including one that I've been happy with since I got the MTD back in November (that's some kind of record for me). I guess that theoretically, a player shouldn't need radical EQ adjustments, but then again...the EQ is there for a purpose.