Musicman growl on a budget.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Moustachio, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Moustachio

Moustachio

Jan 23, 2009
    Hey everyone,

Long time lurker,first time poster here.

I started playing bass around a year ago and was teaching myself up until two months ago and my first bass just isn't cutting it anymore, it's an Ibanez G2R200FM with a P/J pickup configuration and I'm just not satisfied with the sound it produces, I have a decent amp (Fender Rumble 60) and I want to become more serious with my playing, to do that I feel like I need a bass that fits my musical tastes. Right now I enjoy listening to and playing a lot of classical and rock as well as classic metal, think Audioslave, Megadeth, The Who.

When I first went into my local music store and bought the GSR I also tried out a Stingray for the hell of it, and It blew me away, Unfortunately I won't be able to afford the 1,400$ price tag for quite sometime.

I'm looking for a bass under 600$ that will give me a similar tone. I will be test driving any bass suggested before I buy, I just want to get an idea of what brands or models would be best before I start looking.

Thanks.

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  3. Ibanez ATK.

[​IMG]

note the triple-coil pickup in the (general) EBMM position.

4. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Schecter Baron-H? the bass is crazy Punchy.

5. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    Fernandes Atlas / Nordstrand MM4.2 / Aguilar OBP1

pretty much nails it

DSCF0133.jpg

6. LeftHandedFrog

LeftHandedFrog

Dec 29, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Used G&L L1500

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Might wait for the Sterlings by MusicMan to become available. I think they're more than just a rumor.

8. Moustachio

Moustachio

Jan 23, 2009
    I would have tried out an OLP by now but I havent been able to find one anywhere, is sterling MM's new budget line?

9. budget bassist

budget bassist

Jan 4, 2009
    musicman SUB, ibanez ATK or musicman's Sterling by musicman range when it becomes available, NOTHING else.

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I think so. There's a thread here somewhere.

Edit: Here's the thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504375

11. MTD Kingston Artist is another option.

12. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I have an ATK and an OLP with Nordtrand MM4.2 p'up in it (wired with a series/parallel switch)....Love them both, but the ATK gets the call to duty first

The new "Sterlings by MusicMan" may be just what you are looking for though...according to their WEBSITE March 2 is their release date...you can download a brochure (no prices) there to...

edit: Post 13...ahh, my lucky number!!!!!

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

If these are those budget Kingstons...whoa! These basses kill.
    Total MM growl and more.

14. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    And what a coincedence, I happen to have one in the classifieds right now...isn't that funny? ;)

Really though, Ibanez ATK's seem to be the top choice, G&L L1500's are often overlooked but great basses, if you can find one used. SUB's are also a pretty good deal, especially since the only ones you'll be buying now are used. Although, the prices have risen just a bit since they were discontinued.

15. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh

+1

And even new these are cheap!

16. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Peavey USA Millenniums 4 or 5 are under $600.

The black one was bought new old stock for $500 a few years ago and they generally sell for less. now.

The green one was bought used (but minty condition) recently for $535 shipped.

It is close to the MM tone plus a bunch of other usable tones.

mill 1.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

17. whats wrong with OLP?

18. I couldn't agree more. I've got the 5 string (formerly) passive bottom of the line Artist. Stock, they get a good approximation of the MM tone. I threw in a Bartolini MM p/u and Aguilar OBP-1 pre and it's definitely got that guttural growl. I totaled under $500 for the bass and mods. Budget MM at it's finest.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021