1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musicman H5 Sterling or Lakland 5502

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Julian G, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Julian G

Julian G

Mar 16, 2017
    Dubai
    If you had an opportunity to swap your Musicman Sterling H5 for a Lakland 5502 would you do it? I am fond of my Sterling but always wanted a Lakland, but nor sure what's the better bass.

2. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I'd go with what my heart wants. I don't think either is "better", it's all subjective and what you like more or find more usable. I tried to go with Jazz bass for the third time, but always come back to a Stingray, simply because I prefer it.

lowdownthump likes this.
  3. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    The "better" bass will always depend on the player. What works for one may not work for someone else.

Best you can do is try the Lakland and determine which bass is "better" for you at that point.

If you can't try the bass or at least one similar before hand, you may or may not like the end result.

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    What do you think would your experience? The Lakland has a much different neck, wider string spacing and the pickups are pretty different as well. Note that the lakland humbucker is closer to the bridge, so it will not give you a perfect MM sound. Both are very high quality basses, but it's more a question of which fits you better. Try a lakland and see. If it doesnt immediately feel like home, it's probably not worth it.

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. Lakland is 35" scale and 19mm
    Sterling is 34" and I believe 17.5mm
    That stuff matters to some, like me, and not at all to others.

Both excellent. You just have to see which 'feels' better for you. Good luck!

mikezimmerman and lowdownthump like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Try before you buy. Or buy with a good return policy . But don’t get rid of the MusicMan until you’ve had the opportunity to play the Lakland .

I’ve learned from experience that what looks good doesn’t always feel good on my hands. If it’s uncomforable I’m not going to be able to play it well or get good tone out of it like someone else would.

7. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    From an economic perspective, there's no way I make that if it's an even swap. As a player, I much prefer the Lakland and they currently are a fairly even match in selling prices I see listed, I don't think that will hold up over the long run. The Music Man will have better resale results.

The quality and play-ability are also very close in my opinion. It comes down to whether you prefer one over the other and if you care about the future resale more than having the bass you want right now.

All of that said... I own two Lakland Indonesian made 5 strings. I don't think I'd take a Music Man in trade for either unless it really knocked my socks off as a player. I haven't run across a Music Man 5er that would supplant the Laklands as my first choice to play.