1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MusicMan HD 130 Bass amp Manual And flat eq setting?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nighttrain1127, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Does anyone know where I can find (to download or even just read) The Manual for the MusicMan HD 130 Bass amp? And Does anyone Know what the Flat Eq settings are?

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
  3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Thanks for the reply. It was very helpful.

4. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    you cannot get a flat setting on a musicman or fender amp. it is impossible, because of the way the tonestack is designed. it will never happen, and btw 2/10/2 is far from flat. only an amp with a Baxandall type tonestack (B15N, etc) will give you an actual flat setting; when it's tone controls are set to noon it really is flat, for all intents. it is verifiable on a 'scope, as is 2/10/2

5. The 2-10-2 settings are about as close as you can get to flat. I found that I really liked the residual tone. Once I understood and worked with it a little, I found I was easily able to get useful tones.

The fact that you can't get a 'flat' response bothers some. Those who simply adjust the tone to what they like or want will find these tone controls both easy to use and versatile.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  6. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    The numbers are closer to 1-10-0 but it can be set +-3dB flat. Measure one sometime on a spectral display; it's easier. 3dB of voltage change only looks like a lot. The Duncan tone stack calculator will let you quickly check out all the popular tone stacks' responses. It agrees well with real world measurements.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    ReidK likes this.
  7. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    i wish people would just enjoy a Fender's tone stack for what it is and spin those damn knobs, there are a million amazing tones in there. it is one one the greatest, most interactive stacks ever devised, yet all these TB types are so obsessed with this whole "flat" thing they'll go to the most ridiculous lengths to Try and achieve it with a Fender. again it will never happen, and imho a Fender set 2/10/2 sounds like total ass. it's nothing but mids and flat as a pancake. no thanks. an Ampeg B15N with it's controls set to noon is one of the greatest bass tones of all time, and that is actually a Real flat setting. it is Fat, warm and round. Duncan's calculator bears that out, and i'd post the graph, but i run a Mac. and 2/10/2 sure as hell don't sound (or look) like that. not even close. i've been a gigging professional for 28 years, 26 of them exclusively with a bf fender tube head (and it's still the only head i own). 1 is off, and i am a BASS player. the last thing i'd ever do is turn my bass knob off (hah!) or an "all mids, no bass/treble" setting. sure, that's A tone, but it sure as heck ain't a classic FENDER tone, and not by a long shot. jmho, ymmv dttah and all that[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  8. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    I think the idea ia usually to use that as a starting point. ;) I don't know that I've ever seen anything like that on a gig either.

9. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    I think the idea ia usually to use that as a starting point. ;) I don't know that I've ever seen anything like that on a gig either.

and then they start spinning knobs, get even further away from their "flat" and start getting some Good tone! god it makes me laugh. they oughta just mod an input to be strictly volume control/ bypass the stack entirely/straight to the power amp section. you'd have to restructure the gain staging downwards to keep things level vs the un-bypassed signal/input, and that wouldn't be too hard at all for a good tech. yep, input/volume/power amp; i bet That would sound pretty damn rockin' for a "flat" type player. can't argue with that scenario at all, that's essentially a straight wire with gain!

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It does up to a point, but it doesn't model the tubes, other gain/tone stages, transformers, distortion content, or any number of other fairly important things impacting what we do or don't like about a given amp set with the knobs pointing some particular way. [​IMG]

11. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    nor should it imo. it is just a tool to show people, visually, what's really going on with their preferred settings in eq land. it was a Huge eye opener for me back when i was running Windows. got me thinking about all sorts of things

ReidK likes this.
  12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The alternative when Duncan Munro came out with that TSC was ASCII diagrams. He derived it from a Spice model, which you can definitely run on a Mac. If you go that route you can model all those other things I mentioned, which Duncan himself has done, and which was a huge inspiration to me in trying to look at the bigger picture. Nothing wrong with stopping at whatever point feels like enough to you though. As Chuck said, these days it's very easy to just measure whatever piece you're curious about if you have it on hand too. I never think about any of this stuff much at all if I'm playing on a gig though, FWIW. For me it's just another form of 'shedding at home.

13. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    wow, that's very good to know, thanks for that. had no idea

14. Brad T. Bass

Brad T. Bass

Oct 27, 2009
    Interesting thinking in terms of a Flat reference Point. I’ve Never adjusted any amp with that in mind. I play with the controls till I find a sound that I LIKE. Even if you set your controls to a Flat / Neutral Config., there are Infinite other Tonal considerations. I guess to each his own.

If you merely change speaker cabs, ALL your settings are out the window. I rotate a couple of MM Heads (Series & Parallel) & and an Acoustic 370. I have 4 MM cabinets (RARELY take them all at the same time, lol), (2) 212’s loaded with 16 ohm (8 ohm total per cab) Altec’s and (2) 115’s (8 ohm per cab) which I switch between the Stock Eminence’s (for weight / portability, on days when I can’t get help to drag them, or it, out of the basement) and Altec’s (I’m preferential towards Vintage Altec). Most of the time I keep the 15’s set up with one of Each. I also run them with Carvin 10” Neo cabs, depending on the Venue.

My Carvin Head (Great Amp), but has so many controls, I could spend an hour getting ANY tone imaginable, and probably even dial in a TRUE Flat, but WHY? Your PR time spent with the Patrons will take you a lot further.

Anytime I use a different Cab, solo or stacked, my previous EQ settings are useless. With Bass, every factor, type of Bass, type of Cabinet, how far from a wall, corner, ceiling height, type of Speaker, Inside or Outside, Live Room, Dead Room, Full house (or those FUN nights with only two Drunks at the bar), affect how you need to set your amp. Thank God for those Controls. regardless of WHERE “Flat” is. The only “best way” is what sounds good to you. When you hear the sound the way you want to hear the sound, YOU WILL play better.

It’s all about Bass, Drums & Vocals (in alphabetical order), Get those things sounding the way YOU LIKE and the other Instruments are just Fluff. I mean come-on Guys / Gals, How Many times have You and the Drummer CARRIED the band ???

Happy Father’s Day !!!!!

jnewmark likes this.